No mint4win on DVD ISO?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrD.

No mint4win on DVD ISO?

Post by MrD. »

According to the download page, the DVD ISO for Linux Mint 12 doesn't include mint4win? Is this really correct? It seems like quite an oversight if it is.

I was hoping to replace a Wubi install with a mint4win install on my laptop, since Mint has far better codec support out of the box (not to mention a much saner interface), but if I can only install it from the CD then I'm not going to be getting any of those extra codecs by default.

I'm not too adverse to installing Mint directly on the laptop, however the last time I resized an NTFS partition with Windows on it went a bit screwy afterwards and I have no idea where my Windows 7 DVDs are should I need to reinstall it. I probably shouldn't be too afraid of messing with it considering I'm currently running (as I type this) Linux Mint 12 on an Intel Macmini, which was an interesting experience to get working :)

As a side note, it's a bit strange to have to download a whole ISO to get mint4win. It would be better if you had the choice of downloading just the application so you could run it, and then provide it with a valid Mint ISO (like the 64-bit Linux Mint 12 RC ISO I already have). Hey ho.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: No mint4win on DVD ISO?

Post by richyrich »

mint4win has problems with dvd sized images, therefore it is only available on the cd's. But, the Mint Welcome Window provides a one-click Upgrade to DVD Edition or Install Multimedia Codecs options.
Source: Release Notes for Linux Mint 12
MrD.

Re: No mint4win on DVD ISO?

Post by MrD. »

Excellent. Thanks for that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”