won't boot after install?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

won't boot after install?

Postby skeletor on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:20 pm

I just installed linux mint on a buddies computer and everything went fine, but after it rebooted it wouldn't boot up. i says no os found. Makes me think its not seeing his hd? His system has 2 drives slave ide drive, and a sata drive that he mainly uses for everything. Like i said the install went fine and everything just once it rebooted it wouldn't do anything. anyone have any ideas on what it may be?
skeletor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: won't boot after install?

Postby yamawho on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 pm

It's possible that grub is trying to boot to the hdd that the os is not installed.
This happened to me last week.
Did you disconnect one of them before the install and reconnect it after ?
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby skeletor on Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:29 am

yea, well i was thinking that it may of been trying to boot to the wrong hd, so i ended up removing the slave, and it still wouldn't boot up. Did a re-install and it booted just fine. pluged the slave drive back in and it still booted fine. I am not quite sure what happened. the first time i installed it i had both drives in the computer, and it just wouldn't boot. oh well. thanks for your help anyways. I am still a lil new to linux as a desktop but so far i am loving this!
skeletor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BakUp on Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:54 pm

skeletor wrote:it says no os found

I had the same thing happen and that same message when I was helping someone install Mint 4.0

After the second reboot everything was and still is stable and boots into Mint. I thought this was a rather strange behavior.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint
BakUp
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot