after format spare partition via gparted - no boot.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Duckster

after format spare partition via gparted - no boot.

Post by Duckster »

Ok so I wanted to set vmachine to put on XP via virtualbox (LATEST I believe 4.x). I had installed mint 11 to have 3 partitions originally in 160 gig drive
    1. 100gig ext4 mounted / to hold mint
    • swap 7gig
    • 53gig fat32 mounted /windows
So there seem to be issue at first with vmmachine asking about changing partition format so I used gparted to format the windows partition to ext4. When done I still was unable to do thevmachine so I rebooted computer and since it will not boot. Grub loads ask which I want to boot but hangs after about 20 seconds on black screen and never boots.

Is there any suggestions on how I may recover this installation or at least retrieve some of the files in my encrypted home folder on the original install as I had not backed them up (yes I know stupid me!) I am able to boot with my dvd disk and can see the file system fine when it boots up but I don't know how to get into the encrypted home folder for some important files, I am noob linux user but not completely incompetent (despite the no backup to argue against that lol) so please help. I have searched for hours and am no further ahead.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sunewbie

Re: after format spare partition via gparted - no boot.

Post by sunewbie »

Duckster wrote:Ok so I wanted to set vmachine to put on XP via virtualbox (LATEST I believe 4.x). I had installed mint 11 to have 3 partitions originally in 160 gig drive
    1. 100gig ext4 mounted / to hold mint
    • swap 7gig
    • 53gig fat32 mounted /windows
So there seem to be issue at first with vmmachine asking about changing partition format so I used gparted to format the windows partition to ext4. When done I still was unable to do thevmachine so I rebooted computer and since it will not boot. Grub loads ask which I want to boot but hangs after about 20 seconds on black screen and never boots.

Is there any suggestions on how I may recover this installation or at least retrieve some of the files in my encrypted home folder on the original install as I had not backed them up (yes I know stupid me!) I am able to boot with my dvd disk and can see the file system fine when it boots up but I don't know how to get into the encrypted home folder for some important files, I am noob linux user but not completely incompetent (despite the no backup to argue against that lol) so please help. I have searched for hours and am no further ahead.
I am not getting your point.

As I Understand, You have installed Mint 11 to a hard drive and want to install XP inside Virtualbox

Mint has 3 partitions (all either ext3 or ext4)
/root - where system is installed
/swap - generally 2x times the size of RAM
/home - where all the files and data are stored.

You did not mention the home partition

If you have windows installed in hard drive, then you should have one partition for windows too. So in total it should be 4 partitions.
Duckster

Post by Duckster »

Sorry guess I wasnt clear. Originallly I made 3 partitions during installation 1 100gig partition = root (/) formated as ext4 of which I installed mint 11 into the second was a 7 gig swap partition the last was a 53 gig fat32 partition (it ask what to mount the partition as and I said windows however I have not installed windows.or Anything to that partition) I have been using mint for a month or 2 on the / partition and now wanted to install virtualbox and add xp so I can run some windows apps. I had trouble putting it on the windows folder (mounted fat32 partition) so I decided to reformat that 53 gig windows folder to ext4 thinking the virtualbox would run better if I did that. I used gparted selected the partition and chose format to ext4 and applied changes. When done I decided to reboot comp and since that it wont boot back up (except from dvd but I need some files from home folder that is encrypted so I can rebuild unless I can restore somehow?)

Like I said I am noob I did not make a /home or an /opt or an /usr or a /data or any other partitions I just installed all to one partition mounted as / (something I will change next time.)

Does this help?
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

i think, you have to reinstall your grub first.
then, after you have successfully login to your installation, configure your vbox properly. Vbox install OS on virtual disk (something.vdi), the default was stored on your ~/VirtualBox VMs/
So i think there is no use to reformat any partition to make vbox running XP.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Well, Virtualbox does not need or depend upon FAT 32 or NTFS to install XP.

Virtualbox installs as a software inside Mint 11 (which is installed in EXT4 partition). So formatting FAT32 to EXT4 will not solve your problem.

To install XP inside virtualbox, you need to create partition inside virtualbox and NOT on HDD. What ever is to be done, i.e. partitioning, installing XP, installing programs is to be done inside virtualbox. Virtualbox provides virtual environment a kind of pseudo partiton or a HDD.

The best thing to come out of the mess is to have a fresh install. It is always better to have all three partitons. Once you have grip to install manually, you will gain confidence. The reason you are not been able to boot is due to the fact that there is no profile to log on.

You need to have /home partition.

BACKUP your data using LIVE DVD.

Go for Manual Install. Since you do not want windows, it will be easy.

During Installation, select manual boot.

Gparted will be opened

then create 3 partitions

1. /root partition: This is where you system is installed

2. /home partition: this is where all data and maybe config files are stored (please correct if I am wrong). So I case of multiple distros like one windows and 2 Linux e.g. Mint and Ubuntu, you can have a common /home folder.

3. /swap partition: This is like RAM. It is generally 2x times the size of RAM. If your RAM is 2GB, then Swap partition should be 4GB.

Are you planning to install windows i.e. dual boot - so that you can use both windows and Linux. If you are planning to install windows, install it as first OS.

If you are planning to install more than 2 Linux Distros i.e.
1) windows
2) Mint
3) Ubuntu

In this case you will need to first install windows preferable with NTFS partitions.

Then create another NTFS partition for storing data.

Gparted only supports 4 primary partitions

so in this case the partitions will be

1) NTFS - windows installation - 50 - 70 GB
2) NTFS - for data - common between windows and Linux (5 - 100 GB - depends up on your HDD size)
3) Extended partition - EXT4 - 150 GB
a. /root - EXT4 - 20 - 50 GB
b. /home - EXT4 - 20 - 50 GB (this will be common for all future Linux Distros). If you install another Linux, you do not need to create separate home. Just select this home partition WITHOUT formatting
c. /swap - EXT4 - 2 GB to 4 GB (2x times RAM)
d. ext4 - leave this partition blank or let it be left unallocated. Later you can install any other Linux on this partition by making it as /root and pointing /swap and /home (WITHOUT formatting).

Fresh install will take 15-20 minutes to install Mint 11 and then another few to install virtualbox. I recommend to install Virtualbox PEUL version, as it has a better support for external drives like USB. Also install Virtualbox guest additions to gain full advantage.

I hope you have one HDD.

A Tip: I prefer Windows - Linux Dual boot and install windows inside virtualbox too. sometimes, if things break, then you are not able to connect to local drives. After you are comfortable, you can wipe out windows.

edit: added point d.
Last edited by sunewbie on Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duckster

Post by Duckster »

@lahirdenganselamat

Ok did as instructed got this message when re-installing grub:

grub-probe: error: cannot stat 'aufs'.
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Sector32 is already in use by FlexNet: avoiding it;
This software may cause boot or other problems in the future. Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
Installation finished. No error reported.

I then rebooted and I get the grub screen (as I did before) and choose to boot linux mint on sda1 and I hear my hard rive thrash for 10 - 20 seconds or so and then it goes quiet and I sit staring at a black screen endlessly. So in other words that did not work. Don't worry about the virtual machine for now I do not care if I get that working yet I just need to get linux back up so I can get one or 2 files off the machine or at least someone to get them via the boot CD?

@ sunewbie Excellent instructions thank you. So if I backup my drive via Live CD will I later be able to get to encrypted files within my home folder after I rebuild? Namely I have a kmoney file in there I need hold of so I don't have to reenter the last 3 months worth of data to it as well as a couple documents.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Duckster wrote:
@ sunewbie Excellent instructions thank you. So if I backup my drive via Live CD will I later be able to get to encrypted files within my home folder after I rebuild? Namely I have a kmoney file in there I need hold of so I don't have to reenter the last 3 months worth of data to it as well as a couple documents.
sorry for incomplete instruction. I have added point d. please check it again.

Since you did not have /home partition, things are tricky.

if by chance Mint stored kmoney data file on FAT 32, which you wiped out, then i guess you have lost it.

If it has stored in /root partition (it is shown as just a "/" or any other place, then you should be able to retrieve it. If you do not know where are the files stored, then just boot into LIVE DVD install KMONEY and then create a new a/c and see where are the files stored by default. I have not used kmoney, so I am not able to tell you where does it store files. Probably you may google about it or post in forums about where does Linux Mint and particularly kmoney store files by default.

You should always keep another copy of data files. Preferable on CD / DVD since these are write only. USB pen drives can be accidentally lost if you delete or format it. Another option is to email a copy or use DROPBOX. It gives 2 GB free online storage.
Duckster

Post by Duckster »

kmoney stored the file under a subfolder in my users home. But I dont know how to get into that folder cause booting from the live cd it says the folder is encrypted and I do not have permissions to view. Unfortunately I did not make the spare home partition (I will next time) nor do I have backup (now that part was plain dumb I admit ). How can I get into my encrypted home folder after booting from live cd?
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

Duckster wrote:kmoney stored the file under a subfolder in my users home. But I dont know how to get into that folder cause booting from the live cd it says the folder is encrypted and I do not have permissions to view. Unfortunately I did not make the spare home partition (I will next time) nor do I have backup (now that part was plain dumb I admit ). How can I get into my encrypted home folder after booting from live cd?
I am also an end user. I use Linux at home. I do not encrypt my files / folders. So I do not have a proper solution to your problem. May be this idea can be of any help.

Open terminal (alt + ctrl + t) and type.

gksudo nautilus
enter password

- nautilus is the name of file manager like internet explorer ( I hope you are using Mint 11 main edition)
- sudo means Substituted User DO - it creates elevated privileges temporarily, just like you are signed in as root.
- gk means graphical user interface or GUI.

gk gets rid of terminal :)

I hope you get access to your file. If still unsuccessful, do let me know, I will try at home, but I am not a pro. I do not have Linux installed in HDD at office. Just in virtualbox. I may only be able to tell you at night.

Alternatively, you can chat on web IRC. Many advanced users and even developers are online.

Visit http://community.linuxmint.com/

under the tab community, the last option is chat. Just click on it. Lets hope somebody is free to help you. sometimes, people may be very busy or not on desk to respond be patient. and remember to chat from LIVE CD.

to quit IRC type
/quit

close the window :)

you may also want to refer to IRC guideline

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=55884

optional ref to understand IRC. - you can skip them

http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/irctutorial.html
http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html

If still no response

post a new question in newbie section titled

How can I get into my encrypted home folder after booting from live cd?

with a link to this topic

Return to “Installation & Boot”