System/Memory Requirements

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XTF

System/Memory Requirements

Post by XTF »

Where do I find the system/memory requirements for Mint 12?

I wanted to try Mint 12 on a P4 with 256 mb RAM. I downloaded and burned the CD. The CD drive has been seeking like hell for the past half hour, probably due to 'swapping' issues. I guess it doesn't have enough memory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
XTF

Re: System/Memory Requirements

Post by XTF »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=88108

I guess 256 mb isn't enough. Anyway, where are those requirements listed?
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

256MB of RAM is enough to install Mint 12 if you have a pre-installed SWAP partition and/or use the "only-ubiquity" boot option but expect everything to be very slow. Mint 11 works better with that amount of RAM than Mint 12 but neither is a good option if you only have 256MB of RAM, instead try Mint 11 LXDE, Mint XFCE or Mint 9 Fluxbox as they use a lot less RAM than a Gnome 3 desktop.

You can find the requirements here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1889
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

Am sure nunol already covered whatcha needed to know.

Personal opinion, don't even bother thinking about one of the LM main releases with 256mbs of RAM, it'll run horribly on that. You'd be wasting your time even bothering to install it ( with nunol's patented set up a swap partition before install. Ya could likely get it done though.)
Still think it'd be a waste of time and headache for no good purpose.

Right tool for the job kinda thing, you'd need one of the LM releases more meant for low spec hardware. lxde, xfce, fluxbox ... some others. Even then, will have to tweak them to bring the default down. Haven't used those Mint releases myself, so am not familiar with them or even what they use system resourcewise by default. Though on my box, LM10 ( 32 bit gnome ) was using like 270mbs default. Not bad, pretty dang good imo even default, but on a comp w only 512mbs/ddr2 ... no thanks.

So I went into uber tweak mode and got that down to 120mbs. Had LM10 running great, even on 512mbs. Think one of LM's goals is making gnu/Linux really newb friendly. That means packing in this, that and the kitchen sink by default so that nix newbs likely don't have to travel outside their M$ ( point and click ) comfort zone. Thus = resource heavy and stuff more experienced gnu/Linux users will classify as bloat. On a PC w modern specs ( 1gb/ram or more) 270mbs default is not a big deal. Mint's trying to hit the largest share and attract them to the distro ( aka: windows users) and seem to try to have something for everyone ... nix newbs ( like me) to commandline guru's.

Haven't tried it either, but get the feeling LM12 must surely be much heavier on resources than LM10 was. With all the new gnome3 this, MATE desktop that stuff going on. Betting you could find something Minty among the ton of software Mint puts out, that would run ok on 256mbs and run much better with some tweaking.

One such tweak needed for someone in your situation or resource misers everywhere. Lowering swappiness.
http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxt ... o-high:-Ub

With the default setting on a PC with 256 the swap will pretty much stay running all the time if ya don't adjust it. With Mint10 on this old box w 512mbs, after adjusting swappiness as recommended, my swap was hardly ever used anymore.

And this thread starring none other than nunol, talking about lxde. Gives ya some good pointers on what's involved w tweaking LM's lxde stuff.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... +autostart

Am not advising one way or another. Might want to try more than one of LM's lighter releases and settle on the one(s) you like. Overall am just saying with your system specs don't even bother with LM12 ... imo anyway.

(afterthought) Gawd this became a book ! If you're going to use something foxish for web browser, (firefox, iceweasel, iceape, etc. etc. etc.) The Firefox plugin called noscript is a must have imo. Not sure but believe they have something like it for google chrome/ium too. If they do think it's a good idea using them. Then in really desperate straights there's stuff like midori you could try out n look into. Personally think midori is junk and a buggy hobby browser that will never have a snowballs chance in hades of competing with all the major web browser makers of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”