Best dual boot scheme

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Best dual boot scheme

Post by rickNS »

I've seen lots of different "theories" on this, but I'd like to see what may be the best. Particularly when dual booting linux with windows, yes there is still that one program that I "think" I need. (in the near future maybe not)

For me I would think that the best partitioning scheme is one that will allow both OS's tho view the home files. So that is a FAT32 partition ? for HOME.

Thanks in advance. sincerely,

Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Best dual boot scheme

Post by remoulder »

The best scheme is one that works for you, every one's requirements are different, however you should forget about sharing a home between Windows and linux using fat32 as this FS doesn't support linux permissions. Instead have a separate shared data partition and symlink to home if you want it to appear seamless.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
edwardr

Re: Best dual boot scheme

Post by edwardr »

I've used different approaches as my opinions on the topic have evolved and depending on how the computer is configured (i.e. one hard drive or two hard drives with operating systems on one drive and data on another). The approach I currently favor is to install the Linux OS and after installation configure Linux to automount the Windows ntfs partition, then delete the data directories from the new Linux install (i.e. documents, downloads, music, pictures etc.) and replace them with symlinks to the corresponding Windows data directories i.e. My Music, My Pictures etc. That way, whether you are booted in to Windows or Linux, you see all your data files in the same directories.

As remoulder said, use the scheme that works for you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”