Linux Mint 12 Install Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ananmad

Linux Mint 12 Install Problem

Post by ananmad »

Alright.
First off, I feel it is important to say that my computer is messed up: what exactly wrong with it, I'm not sure, and frankly neither is Toshiba. Every time I try to install Windows, it merely results in an error, while my brother (who has the same exact laptop) installs with no problems at all. We both installed Ubuntu Linux, and mine was missing several features that his wasn't.
My computer for some reason, would not login to Ubuntu 2d. My brother's did - no problem.

Encountering a Java problem, I switched over from Ubuntu, to Linux Mint Debian, which no longer encountered the problem. (Specifically, it would not play Runescape)

Ever since I installed Linux Mint Debian, I have not been able to install any updates. My update manager simply comes up with this:

E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

Now, from what I understand, updating is a big deal in Linux Mint. I do not want to miss out on this, so I tried installing the updates with Aptitude. This ended up messing up my Firefox.

So I figured, I would merely upgrade Linux Mint, and maybe these trivial problems would go away. Lo! it is giving me problems still.

INSTALLING
So, I downloaded Linux Mint 12 (the most recent version to my knowledge) and ripped it onto a DVD, and popped it in my cd/dvd drive.
I boot with Cd/Dvd.
All the regular stuff happens (casper/......blah blah)
Then it auto-boots in 10,9, etc.

Eventually, it comes to a black screen for a minute or two until it says something about the Network Configuration or such. Then it goes to (what I would assume would be) the "desktop-like" install environment, confirming the change with the "bing bing" sound. However, the only thing that I see is the background, and the mouse pointer. I have found that if I press "Ctrl+alt+f2" it takes me to the terminal.

I'm not exactly a computer wiz, much less a Linux one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please, Laymen's terms. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 12 Install Problem

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

ananmad wrote:Every time I try to install Windows, it merely results in an error, while my brother (who has the same exact laptop) installs with no problems at all. We both installed Ubuntu Linux, and mine was missing several features that his wasn't.
Both OS install giving you an error, and you have another same hardware which is get success install. I think it was a hardware defect. I think either bring it to the service centre for repair or ask for replacement will do. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”