<SOLVED> shutdown problem acer machine

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

<SOLVED> shutdown problem acer machine

Post by sgull »

Hi. I recently set installed Mint 11 with dual-boot situation with my Acer laptop model 5315 machine (with factory installed Vista). All seemed to be going smooth but then I soon became encountering random full shutdowns of the machine. After doing some googling research I found the issue is apparently a known one with the particular Acer machine where with the distro installed as dual boot as I mentioned it causes the pc fan to stop working and the cpu will start to heat up causing the sensors on the motherboard or whatever to throw the machine into instant shutdown because of the increase in heat. Something like that, anyway, is the way I understand it. So I was also reading that some who've installed Ubuntu on this same machine and who get the same shutdown issue have been able to fix the issue by doing various things, the easiest of which seems to simply update the Bios to the latest which is available from Acer. I don't necessarily want to update the Bios though if that's not been confirmed as a definite fix for my particular issue on my particular machine with my particular dual boot situation with the vista and the mint.

Anybody here heard or experienced with this issue before, what I'm talking about, and how to deal with it. thanks for any advice/comments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: shutdown problem acer machine

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

because mint was based on ubuntu, we can apply the fix (if it's works on ubuntu). And about upgrading BIOS, it's safe enough (I think the ACER site was offering a BIOS updater for Vista, so do it on Vista)
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

Okay, thank you for that reply. I'll probably go ahead and do that update then and see what happens. Although I realize the chances are slim anybody else reading this thread right now has ever heard of this issue with the Acer machine and dual boot with Mint/Vista, or experienced it, or dealt with it as I've described, if they have I'd be quite interested if they'd share a comment about it here. thanks much
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

and one more thing, if you're still using mint 11 default kernel (2.6.38-8 ), I suggest to upgrade it, I think the latest on repo was 2.6.38-13. Usually it solved a lot of problems.
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:and one more thing, if you're still using mint 11 default kernel (2.6.38-8 ), I suggest to upgrade it, I think the latest on repo was 2.6.38-13. Usually it solved a lot of problems.
Actually I mistakenly typed Mint 11 in this post, when I meant to type Mint 12. To be clear, I have Mint 12 dual-boot along with Vista. Is Mint 12 already upgraded as you mention above?
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

I was reading elsewhere that another apparent option to resolve my issue can be done through the Terminal by following this command procedure there:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and after that, adding another line below, and typing in it:

options snd_hda-intel model=acer

However, as a newbie to Mint (and Linux) I am not yet familiar with the proper method of entering in such info into the Terminal so that it is recognized correctly and will be processed as intended. Any help/comments in that regard would be appreciated. Thank you!
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

sgull wrote:
Actually I mistakenly typed Mint 11 in this post, when I meant to type Mint 12. To be clear, I have Mint 12 dual-boot along with Vista. Is Mint 12 already upgraded as you mention above?
Mint 12 was using kernel 3 so it's newer than the default on mint 11.
sgull wrote:I was reading elsewhere that another apparent option to resolve my issue can be done through the Terminal by following this command procedure there:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

and after that, adding another line below, and typing in it:

options snd_hda-intel model=acer

However, as a newbie to Mint (and Linux) I am not yet familiar with the proper method of entering in such info into the Terminal so that it is recognized correctly and will be processed as intended. Any help/comments in that regard would be appreciated. Thank you!
as a newbie, I suggest using gedit instead of nano to open a text file, so type on your terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
but my question was " what's the correlation between alsa (it's a sound thing) and a shutdown problem ?
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:as a newbie, I suggest using gedit instead of nano to open a text file, so type on your terminal

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
but my question was " what's the correlation between alsa (it's a sound thing) and a shutdown problem ?
Thanks lahirdenganselamat. The nano alsa terminal command string I described was just something I came across in some other forum (can't remember where) as apparently working for someone else who apparently was experiencing the same issue. My shutdown issue had nothing do with sound, perhaps the poster had veered from the actual discussion subject there I don't know. Anyway I went ahead and updated my pc BIOS, something I've never done before (scary!), but lo and behold it worked and cured the problem. No more shutdowns :D
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Don't forget to add [solved] on your first post if you think your post was solved. refer to forum rules
sgull
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sgull »

lahirdenganselamat wrote:Don't forget to add [solved] on your first post if you think your post was solved. refer to forum rules
Thanks. Sorry for the oversight. Will be sure to remember to do so again with future issues solved here (and will be reading over the rules more carefully). Does it now properly look as if I've indicated the post was solved? Post back please if there's something different I need to do.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: <SOLVED> shutdown problem acer machine

sgull wrote:Does it now properly look
:D yup

Return to “Installation & Boot”