[Mint 12] Can't install: (initramfs) mount failed

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

[Mint 12] Can't install: (initramfs) mount failed

Post by Madwand »

I'm at my wits end after much Googling I haven't been able to come up with a solution to this problem. I've tried booting from USB, CD, and DVD, and each time Linux Mint 12 fails to install on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, which already has an old version of Ubuntu on it. I get the following error message:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Invalid argument
Can not mount /dev/loop/0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs.

Sometimes it only gets as far as the (initramfs) prompt. I've tried all sorts of fixes, and none have worked. I have confirmed that the USB install works just fine on another laptop,so the .iso is not corrupt. Can anyone help, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Mint 12] Can't install: (initramfs) mount failed

Post by Madwand »

I'm still desperately searching for a fix for this issue with no luck, does ANYONE have any idea what's going on or how to fix it?
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

Hi, all i know this problem usually a broken media installation ( defect cd/dvd/USB drive) .
Is your ISO MD5 sum correct :?:
try using another usb flashdrive , or repartition your thumbdrive use fat32 system , if you use unetbootin try another usb disk startup creator.
Last resort : download DVD iso from another Mint mirror. If the 64 failed try 32 bit.
That's be alot of works. Good luck :)
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Madwand »

I've tried two different iso's, and tested them both on a different laptop. They booted fine. They failed to boot on the laptop I'm trying to install to. So, that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Madwand »

I still need help resolving this problem. Why won't Mint 12 boot to desktop?
showbizkid75

Post by showbizkid75 »

Hi madwand,

I'm encountering the same problem too. I downloaded the 64bit DVD ISO image and first used Unetbootin to make a bootable USB stick.

This stick boots just fine on my MSI Wind U135DX netbook, and is installing as I type this.

However, the same USB stick, when I boot on my main MSI 890FX-GD70 based PC, fails to install and gives the same error message as you posted.

I then burned this same ISO file to a blank DVD, and it does the same thing too. :?

I'm going to look into this a little further, and if I find a solution, I'll share it here with you!
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Madwand »

That would be much appreciated, though I fear today is the last opportunity I will have to install Mint on this particular machine for another year (family computer).
showbizkid75

Post by showbizkid75 »

I've had no joy so far, spent nearly a whole day trying to figure out why this won't work!

Weirdly, it installs in a VM in VirtualBox quite happily, but just won't boot from this CD/DVD or USB stick!

Its not the USB stick, I tried two others, both did the same. As already stated, USB sticks boot into Live environment quite happily on my MSI Wind U135DX and MSI E350IA-E45, just not on this 890FXA-GD65 system (Phenom II 840, 2x 4GB DDR3-1333, KIngston 64GB SSD, WD 750GB HDD, MSI R6870). Its not the image either, tried a couple of different mirrors also, same result.

Ubuntu boots fine, Kubuntu boots fine, but Linux Mint 12 doesn't (and neither did 11 or 12RC!), and I'd really like to install Linux Mint! :x
showbizkid75

Post by showbizkid75 »

Good news (for me at least!) :roll:

I found the cause of my problem: I had an MSI 'WINKI' USB drive connected inside my PC (which to be honest I'd never used, and didn't work anyway). I disconnected this, and lo and behold Linux Mint 12 has loaded! :D

I don't think this same advice will apply to you Madwand, but it seems somehow USB drive related to me. Do you have any other bootable USB pendrives connected while you're trying to load Linux Mint? Or maybe you have a memory card in your card reader? If so, try removing them and boot from your USB stick again.

I still found it bizarre that Ubuntu and Kubuntu had no issues loading with this WINKI connected, but I felt I was on to something when I tried ExTix 9 and the same thing happened.

Good luck Madwand!
Madwand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Madwand »

No, the machine has no other USB drives connected to it. Looks like this solution won't work for me :-(
Colper

Post by Colper »

I'm having the same problems. Not sure if anyone has found a fix? :?
Colper

Post by Colper »

However, I am mounting the image with Daemontools lite. And attempting to install mint4win there, and I get about as far as everyone else has gotten (past the GB partition/account info). And then... An error occurred: Invalid Argument. For more information, please see the log file: c:\users\colin\appdata\local\temp\wubi-12-rev215.log Any help is greatly appreciated! :cry:
Colper

Post by Colper »

FIX SOLUTION***The recommendation about trying to install the 32bit version worked! I'm not sure if it was a result to getting a new complete download or if it has something to do with trying the 32bit version, but I finally got it working for me. on my ASUS k60ij laptop (64bit, windows 7). :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”