Default Linux Mint grub/boot look and feel

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Default Linux Mint grub/boot look and feel

Postby elpaw on Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:54 pm

When installing LM i chose not to install grub (I have an XP hdd and a Linux HDD, and I didn't want to screw up my XP disk MBR by not knowing whether to install grub to (hd0) or (hd1)) so I decided to do it later via grub-install. All well so far. However, I want it to look & feel like as if I had installed grub natively when installing LM. Currently it is just a text-based black & white grub, for which I made my own menu.lst, with a text/console boot window until the login screen. I want it to be the graphical grub (with the LM logo), and there to be a splash screen boot instead of the console view. Could someone please help me achieve this? Even if someone could show me the standard menu.lst file it would be helpful. Cheers.
elpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Default Linux Mint grub/boot look and feel

Postby elpaw on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:31 pm

anyone?
elpaw
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:40 pm

elpaw,

What have you done so far? How are you booting? Do you have Grub installed to the mbr or somewhere else? If somewhere else, how are you accessing it? Through some other boot loader?

You need to give me more information about your set up, including your partition table and what OSs you have installed.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:52 pm

you say currently you have a black and white screen. I assume your booting into linuxmint fine.

Ok frist off I've never installed grub from within linux mint but it should work like all the rest.

Install grub from within mint to make sure you have a grub that supports frame buffers.

Then you might have to edit menu.list and add the slash screen img file to /boot/grub

That's how I've customized personal installs of grub on other installs.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:49 pm

elpaw,

Until we get more information about your current set-up all we can do is speculate about what the best solution might be. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot