VMware

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VMware

Postby rcaj on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey im a complete noob to linux, but it hough this post might belong better in this category. i just bought VMware fusion for my mac and because windoze is crap i decided i try linux, after doing some research i decided to settle with Linux Minst 4.0 main. Before i install, VMware asks me what OS it is, then asks what version. so i select Linux, but his is the part i'm stuck on, what version should i pick, it gives me awhole bunch of choices like red hat and red hat enterprise versions 1-6, different versions of SUSE some 64bits, mandrivra, mandrake etc. then near the end it has Other Linux: 2.2, 2.2-64bit, 2.4, 2.4-64bit, 2.6, 2.6-64bit (.x kernel, at the end of all of them) which out of these should i pick, linux mint is not on the list however Ubuntu is... is anyone here using Vmware w/ Linux Mint that can help me? thx in advance
rcaj
 

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: VMware

Postby antiquexray on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:58 pm

rcaj wrote:Hey im a complete noob to linux, but it hough this post might belong better in this category. i just bought VMware fusion for my mac and because windoze is crap i decided i try linux, after doing some research i decided to settle with Linux Minst 4.0 main. Before i install, VMware asks me what OS it is, then asks what version. so i select Linux, but his is the part i'm stuck on, what version should i pick, it gives me awhole bunch of choices like red hat and red hat enterprise versions 1-6, different versions of SUSE some 64bits, mandrivra, mandrake etc. then near the end it has Other Linux: 2.2, 2.2-64bit, 2.4, 2.4-64bit, 2.6, 2.6-64bit (.x kernel, at the end of all of them) which out of these should i pick, linux mint is not on the list however Ubuntu is... is anyone here using Vmware w/ Linux Mint that can help me? thx in advance

I've to steal a line from Husse, meaning I know how to do it, but not sure how to explain it. Is Mint installed? If so, use the Pakage Mnager to search for the kernal you have. I'm away from my Linux box so I can't see what one is shows during my dual boot option. I'm sure before I can get home and look some else will have the answer for you :)
User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: VMware

Postby rcaj609 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:29 pm

antiquexray wrote:
rcaj wrote:Hey im a complete noob to linux, but it hough this post might belong better in this category. i just bought VMware fusion for my mac and because windoze is crap i decided i try linux, after doing some research i decided to settle with Linux Minst 4.0 main. Before i install, VMware asks me what OS it is, then asks what version. so i select Linux, but his is the part i'm stuck on, what version should i pick, it gives me awhole bunch of choices like red hat and red hat enterprise versions 1-6, different versions of SUSE some 64bits, mandrivra, mandrake etc. then near the end it has Other Linux: 2.2, 2.2-64bit, 2.4, 2.4-64bit, 2.6, 2.6-64bit (.x kernel, at the end of all of them) which out of these should i pick, linux mint is not on the list however Ubuntu is... is anyone here using Vmware w/ Linux Mint that can help me? thx in advance

I've to steal a line from Husse, meaning I know how to do it, but not sure how to explain it. Is Mint installed? If so, use the Pakage Mnager to search for the kernal you have. I'm away from my Linux box so I can't see what one is shows during my dual boot option. I'm sure before I can get home and look some else will have the answer for you :)

ok thx, but i dont have it installed yet, can i find pakage Manager in the LiveCD? thx for the help
rcaj609
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: VMware

Postby antiquexray on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:57 pm

rcaj609 wrote: ok thx, but i dont have it installed yet, can i find pakage Manager in the LiveCD? thx for the help

Well I'm doing this from memory...now don't get me wrong, I've got a good memory, it's just not as long as it used to be...but, I think it's the 2.4 kernel. But never fear, if I'm wrong, someone will let US know.
User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: VMware

Postby antiquexray on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:58 pm

OK. Here's the scoop. The kernel is 2.6.22 on my confuser, I mean computer...at least that's what I think I just read. Did I tell you I have a good memory...I don't remember.
User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Re: VMware

Postby rcaj609 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:58 pm

antiquexray wrote:OK. Here's the scoop. The kernel is 2.6.22 on my confuser, I mean computer...at least that's what I think I just read. Did I tell you I have a good memory...I don't remember.
lol, ok thx alot man, really apreciate it, do u know wuts w/ the 64bit stuff? how do u know if its 64 or 32 bit?
rcaj609
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: VMware

Postby antiquexray on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm

rcaj609 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:OK. Here's the scoop. The kernel is 2.6.22 on my confuser, I mean computer...at least that's what I think I just read. Did I tell you I have a good memory...I don't remember.
lol, ok thx alot man, really apreciate it, do u know wuts w/ the 64bit stuff? how do u know if its 64 or 32 bit?

To put it simply, if I remember right. To put it simply, if I remember right (have you ever experienced deja vous?),
64 is short for a computer with a whole lot more computer power than my 32 :D
User avatar
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Albert Lea Minnesota USA

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: austin.texas, Derek_S, nascar64 and 26 guests