VMware

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rcaj

VMware

Post by rcaj »

Hey im a complete noob to linux, but it hough this post might belong better in this category. i just bought VMware fusion for my mac and because Windows is crap i decided i try linux, after doing some research i decided to settle with Linux Minst 4.0 main. Before i install, VMware asks me what OS it is, then asks what version. so i select Linux, but his is the part i'm stuck on, what version should i pick, it gives me awhole bunch of choices like red hat and red hat enterprise versions 1-6, different versions of SUSE some 64bits, mandrivra, mandrake etc. then near the end it has Other Linux: 2.2, 2.2-64bit, 2.4, 2.4-64bit, 2.6, 2.6-64bit (.x kernel, at the end of all of them) which out of these should i pick, linux mint is not on the list however Ubuntu is... is anyone here using Vmware w/ Linux Mint that can help me? thx in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: VMware

Post by antiquexray »

rcaj wrote:Hey im a complete noob to linux, but it hough this post might belong better in this category. i just bought VMware fusion for my mac and because Windows is crap i decided i try linux, after doing some research i decided to settle with Linux Minst 4.0 main. Before i install, VMware asks me what OS it is, then asks what version. so i select Linux, but his is the part i'm stuck on, what version should i pick, it gives me awhole bunch of choices like red hat and red hat enterprise versions 1-6, different versions of SUSE some 64bits, mandrivra, mandrake etc. then near the end it has Other Linux: 2.2, 2.2-64bit, 2.4, 2.4-64bit, 2.6, 2.6-64bit (.x kernel, at the end of all of them) which out of these should i pick, linux mint is not on the list however Ubuntu is... is anyone here using Vmware w/ Linux Mint that can help me? thx in advance
I've to steal a line from Husse, meaning I know how to do it, but not sure how to explain it. Is Mint installed? If so, use the Pakage Mnager to search for the kernal you have. I'm away from my Linux box so I can't see what one is shows during my dual boot option. I'm sure before I can get home and look some else will have the answer for you :)
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

rcaj609 wrote: ok thx, but i dont have it installed yet, can i find pakage Manager in the LiveCD? thx for the help
Well I'm doing this from memory...now don't get me wrong, I've got a good memory, it's just not as long as it used to be...but, I think it's the 2.4 kernel. But never fear, if I'm wrong, someone will let US know.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

OK. Here's the scoop. The kernel is 2.6.22 on my confuser, I mean computer...at least that's what I think I just read. Did I tell you I have a good memory...I don't remember.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

rcaj609 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:OK. Here's the scoop. The kernel is 2.6.22 on my confuser, I mean computer...at least that's what I think I just read. Did I tell you I have a good memory...I don't remember.
lol, ok thx alot man, really apreciate it, do u know wuts w/ the 64bit stuff? how do u know if its 64 or 32 bit?
To put it simply, if I remember right. To put it simply, if I remember right (have you ever experienced deja vous?),
64 is short for a computer with a whole lot more computer power than my 32 :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”