Win 7 SP1 install faills

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Win 7 SP1 install faills

Post by krustybaguette »

Running LM9, Win7, WinXP, and Bodhi on two drives on Lenovo X60 laptop.

I've been trying to install the Win7 SP1 via the Windows Update for quite some time now. It fails to download and install. I've had similar problems downloading and installing other Windows Updates. Today I downloaded the exe for SP1 and tried installing it and got results suggesting that the problem is GRUB related. Here's the series of error messages that lead to this conclusion.

1) Instalation not successful

2) Error 0x800f0a12

3) The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The system cannot find the file specified.

All that said, When I boot the computer into any of the four OS's it works just fine.

Does anyone know of a workaround that will let me install the Win7 Service Pack and hopefully not screw up my GRUB installation?

Is there any significance that Win7 is the last OS listed in my GRUB boot menu?

Since I don't use Win 7 often I'm tempted to just leave it alone except that it seems lately that I'm not able to download other updates (SP1 dependent I suppose?)

krustybaguette
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Win 7 SP1 install faills

Post by mank_in »

Maybe you can download offline installer of SP1 ( size 1.9GB + ) but don't know if that affect your GRUB or not
This is a link

Or you can ask microsoft too :lol: ( just a joke )
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

For only $50 and hour on the phone :lol:
But the stand alone installer might be your best bet. I usually do so I can slipstream the original dvd and the service packs together, to make an updated install DVD since you usually have to reinstall the same OS at least every 6 to 18 months because of slow downs and breakages.

Also I've been using the freebsd boot manager, to write the win7 bootloader before grub to have the choice if win7 boot or grub. sometime this solves some problems when it comes to win7 that grub doesn't handle well.
krustybaguette
Level 3
Level 3

Post by krustybaguette »

wyrdoak wrote:
For only $50 and hour on the phone :lol:
But the stand alone installer might be your best bet. I usually do so I can slipstream the original dvd and the service packs together, to make an updated install DVD since you usually have to reinstall the same OS at least every 6 to 18 months because of slow downs and breakages.

Also I've been using the freebsd boot manager, to write the win7 bootloader before grub to have the choice if win7 boot or grub. sometime this solves some problems when it comes to win7 that grub doesn't handle well.
I already downloaded (and it failed) the standalone SP installer. This latter suggestion sounds like it might work, but I'll have to study up on freebsd boot manager and bootloaders in general.

Return to “Installation & Boot”