XFCE Community Edition Problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

XFCE Community Edition Problems

Postby mclements19 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:47 pm

I recently downloaded the XFCE 4.0 iso and burned it and the installation attempt has been very problematic for me on my Macbook. First off, the cd takes a relatively long time to load, not sure if that is just the way it is or if it is linked to the problems I'm having. Anyway, booting of the livecd proceeds unhindered (although slowly) until it has almost finished booting. When it is about 98 percent complete (according to the progress bar), a continuous stream of errors pop up about sd0 I/O and such. Eventually it boots, after repeating the same errors several times. The main problem is...it boots up to a login window, for which I have neither a username nor password. Additionally, typing root as the username does not work either (I have tried many, many combinations). I was very excited to try out this Ubuntu offshoot, but these problems are rather frustrating.
mclements19
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: XFCE Community Edition Problems

Postby Husse on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:06 am

It can be hardware related but I think you have a bad CD
There is no login on our live CDs (the debian alfa possbily excluded)
Did you check the md5sum and burned slowly?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mclements19 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:10 pm

yeah, it turned out to be the CD; after the fifth time of re-burning it I got it to load straight to the desktop (how refreshing that was).
mclements19
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:29 pm

mclements19 wrote:First off, the cd takes a relatively long time to load, not sure if that is just the way it is or if it is linked to the problems I'm having.

I found my copy of the XFCE edition took an age to load up as well, though once it was loaded up it was fine.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot