[SOLVED] Dualbooting Windows/Linux *Windows installed first

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nnavd

[SOLVED] Dualbooting Windows/Linux *Windows installed first

Post by Nnavd »

So I recently downloaded Mint and got it working.

Now whenever my computer loads the boot menu only has the option for Linux and not Windows.

What do I do? Rebuild the MBR on windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gnudude

Re: Dualbooting Windows/Linux *Windows installed first

Post by gnudude »

I would start by opening a terminal and running the update-grub command as root.

With a default mint install you would probably open the terminal and type in sudo update-grub and then hit enter.

Reboot and see if that got it.

If that did not work then open the terminal and type in sudo os-prober and then hit enter. Post the results so we can take a look.
Nnavd

Post by Nnavd »

I would start by opening a terminal and running the update-grub command as root.

With a default mint install you would probably open the terminal and type in sudo update-grub and then hit enter.

If that did not work then open the terminal and type in sudo os-prober and then hit enter. Post the results so we can take a look.
That seems to have fixed it. Thanks. In doing this I've noticed I seem to still have a boot entry for Windows Vista, even though I uninstalled it quite a while ago. What's the command to delete an entry?
JaJaBinks

Post by JaJaBinks »

gnudude wrote:I would start by opening a terminal and running the update-grub command as root.

I have installed 'Mint12' on my pc along with windows xp.
when starting up, computer goes straight to Linux Mint login screen, without providing option to boot into windows.
updating grub has not solved the problem for me

Following is the result of running commands
$ sudo update-grub
$ sudo os-probe

$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for stephen:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-12-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-12-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1
done