Installation Instructions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinterTroubles

Re: Installation Instructions

Post by WinterTroubles »

MtnDewManiac wrote:That turned out to be the missing step that one needs. With that, couple with the quoted directions you posted previously, the user (even me :lol: ) can download a Mint .iso - and, I'd assume, any linux live/installation .iso - to their hard drive and then install it to that hard drive without having to worry about first burning it to DVD or "burning" it to a USB drive....

....Thanks again,
MDM
You are very welcome MDM and I'm very glad to hear the installation went well :D

Regards
WT
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

westaussie wrote:About a few months ago, I purchased a new laptop, after the last one suddenly "went west."
Imagine my consternation when I saw mine "go south" with the pack. :shock:
southernpride1865

Post by southernpride1865 »

I have a standard HP 110-210 desktop that came with Windows 8. I up-graded to 8.1 and eventually decided to come back to Linux. I currently have Linux Mint "rebecca" to install, but seem to be having some problems. I went in to boot options and changed the boot order and do a clean install, inserted the disc, restarted, and went through the installation options. Came to the end and removed the disc to re-boot and finalize the install. I get a black screen with small white letters in the upper left corner that said "security header not found". That goes away and the words "Checking media presence........", "media Present......" and "start PXE over IPv4" appear. Then that will go away and the same words will appear, except it says "Start PXE over IPv6." followed by "PXE-E16: No offer received."

Then it just sits there and does nothing.The entire process takes at least 5 minutes to get to the point where it just sits there. I have restarted the machine and it does the same thing. I then reinstalled the disc, restarted, went to boot options to make sure it was booting from the disc, restarted again, and it does the same thing.

What did or am I doing wrong, and how can I fix it?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

southernpride1865 wrote:I have a standard HP 110-210 desktop that came with Windows 8. I up-graded to 8.1
Since you were running Windows 8.x, you must (AfaIK) have had secure-boot enabled. Have you since disabled it? If not, that needs to be done in order to boot Mint (and most other OS). IDK if you can actually install it with that setting enabled in your computer or not, but to the best of my knowledge, you wouldn't be able to boot it afterwards even if you could.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
southernpride1865

yes, secure boot is disabled. I also disabled the PXE network ROM as well as network boot. I accessed the boot menu and moved ubuntu to the top. Inserted the disc and rebooted. The main screen appears with computer, home, and install linux mint. Click on install, and the process begins. The entire process runs through, to the point at which it begins to copy the change logs. It will scroll through to the very end and say "the system will reboot NOW!", and the disc tray opens. I remove the disc and close the tray, and it then gives a warning that it can't find some "freedesktop.org" and freezes at that point with a blinking cursor. At least I am assuming it freezes, after about 10 minutes I turn it off.

Another odd thing.....I have two boot menus. One comes up when I hit F9 and a different one comes up when I hit F10. If I highlight ubuntu on F10 and try to move it up, it gives an error message saying there is no OS on the drive or the drive has failed. On F9, ubuntu doesn't show up, it is just the IPv4 and IPv6 family controller, along with legacy boot options.

I am running through the process again and will return with exact wordings at the sticking points.

OK, installation has finished and it tells me to restart now. I click the restart button and the tray opens. Disc is out and tray is shut. It tells me the system is going down for reboot NOW!
ModemManager (1305): <info> caught signal, shutting down.....
ModemManager (1305) <warn> Could not acquire the "org.freedesktop..ModemManager1" service name

Followed by a blinking cursor. Ok, in boot options under device options, NIC PXE option ROM download is disabled. under the security tab, secure boot is disabled, legacy support is enabled and fast boot is enabled. Network boot is disabled. Under the storage tab, the order is UEFI Boot sources, ubuntu, USB hard drive, USB floppy/CD, and ATAPI CD/DVD drive. Under that, we have Legacy Boot Sources, with Hard Drive, SATA0, ATAPI CD/DVD Drive, and USB Floppy/CD Drive. I hit save changes and exit, and I get a black screen that says ERROR: no boot disc has been detected or the disc has failed.

I restart, go back into boot menu to make sure everything is the same (it was), it save changes and exit, and it now says "boot device not found. Please install an operating system on your hard disc. Hard disc-(3FO)." But I just did that, multiple times!

What now?
southernpride1865

SOLVED! Well, after screwing around with this for 3 days now, I finally got to the point at which it was more economical to just get a new hard drive and do a fresh install. So I pull the 500G Seagate barracuda and install a 1T WD "blue". Connect everything back up, insert disc, start the machine, run the 17.1 disc to install......and the same goddamn thing happens again! Secure boot is off, Legacy devices are enabled, boot order is correct. It will run through the entire install process, tell me to remove the media and close the tray, and then re-boot. An error message comes up saying that no OS is installed and to please install an OS on the system.

So I put the disc back in, check all the settings, re-run, and it will get to the installation point in which it asks you what you want to do, and it says "Rebecca is already installed on this computer. This will install mint alongside." OR, it will give the option to wipe everything and install mint.

Neither one works, I have tried them both multiple times.

I then broke out an old copy of "Olivia", thinking maybe I could get that to install and then up-date to rebecca". No luck, the same thing happens as described above.

So then I tried the same procedure with an old copy of Win7 and again with XP Pro.

Nothing.

this is a brand new, right out of the box hard drive, and I still cannot get the Linux system (or anything else) to install!

Installation issues was the primary reason I left Linux in the first place. Now, I have tried again on a completely different (and to be honest, a much newer and up-dated) machine. this tells me that it is NOT the system, it is my dumb ass screwing things up. I have rebecca installed as a dual boot on my laptop, and that went as easy as putting the disc in and letting it autorun, and I really really like it and want to use it throughout my machines.

I have to run out to work right now and will be back by 3:00PM mountain time (Colorado). Could someone please help me with this, maybe in real-time? My appreciation would be endless!

Also, when I get to the installation screen, if I access "computer" rather than "install", it comes up with the drive being populated with the program. On is 999 G and the other is 259MG. I can mount or unmount them both, but a restart says no OS exists. Again, this is a stock HP 110-210 bought in 2014. 64 bit amd quad core processor. On-board stock Intel HD graphics.

So, being fed up with this entire installation process and all of the B.S. that has accompanied it, I decided on the tried and true method of computer repair......I took it to a guy I know! I explained the situation, and he agreed that Microsofts new system was tantamount to slavery- once you are in, there is no getting out! But anyway, he had it for about two hours and did whatever magic was required, and now I have a brand new, fresh Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela OS that works like a dream, installed on a new WD 1T "Blue" HDD and a slightly older Seagate Barracuda 500G that has been wiped clean and is ready to use for whatever.

So, ladies and gents, boys and girls, the moral of this sad story is this.......always check your media BEFORE you try to install it! I purchased the Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca from On-Disc.com as a brand new CD/DVD (basically because I was to lazy to burn a free ISO and do it that way!), and the consensus from my guy was that the media itself was defective in some fashion. Not physically damaged or anything, but during the copying process a glitch apparently occurred, rendering the disc un-usable and worthless. This does not explain why the disc loaded and installed just fine as a dual boot system with Win7, but all I know is that it now works, I got a free upgrade from 17.1 to 17.2, I'm much happier, and I'm back in business!

I was pretty sure Windows peaked with XP Pro, but I gave Win7, 8, and 8.1 a shot just to see if they had their act together yet. Never again! I will (listen very carefully for the crack of the lightning bolt) go to Apple before I will ever run Windows again on a regular basis!

A real quick clarification...... I did not mean in any way that On-disc is not a reputable vendor! I have bought several products from them and have never experienced any major difficulty, other than this. And there is no way to determine how or where the fault occurred, so I can attach absolutely no blame to them. I will just put it down as "shit happens!" and move on......to my brand new OS! (can you tell I'm happy now!)
tkocou
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tkocou »

Just to add to the tale of installation issues [SOLVED],

I had a friend bring me his Ubuntu machine which would not boot. After replacing the defective power supply, We attempted to install Mint 17.2. We would get through to the point of copying the files and would get "file xxxx on the harddrive is not the same as on the file xxxx on the media" errors. Like to drive us batty. Reinstallation would yield different files erroring out. Tried LIVE USB (vs LIVE DVD) - same results. Running out of ideas, I proposed that we check the memory on the MB. Bingo! My friend's MB had a bad memory SIMM. Changed out the defective module and using the original media, Linux Mint installed like a dream. So, my friend is enjoying his Linux Mint machine now.

The key take-away on my message is: If the media acts strange during installation, don't assume that the media is the problem.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
sgtsnowman

Post by sgtsnowman »

I seem to be missing something when I try to install Mint on a fresh, no previous OS HDD.

I created an ISO using the Pen-drive http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ site 6 months or so ago using the Universal USB Installer. The ISO works fine, when I boot it reads the USB stick and I can use Linux on the target machine. But, the Icon that should allow me to install Mint on the HDD from the USB stick is missing from the linux desktop.

When I tested the USB stick on my windows machine (the machine where I created the ISO img), I could see the icon just fine. Since I don't want to dual boot, I didn't install anything on that machine.

What am I missing? Does the Universal USB Installer only create ISO images that have to have a dual boot setup?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

sgtsnowman wrote:I seem to be missing something when I try to install Mint on a fresh, no previous OS HDD.

I created an ISO using the Pen-drive http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ site 6 months or so ago using the Universal USB Installer. The ISO works fine, when I boot it reads the USB stick and I can use Linux on the target machine. But, the Icon that should allow me to install Mint on the HDD from the USB stick is missing from the linux desktop.
Does the motherboard for that computer use the newer Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) instead of the traditional "BIOS" one?

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
sgtsnowman

Post by sgtsnowman »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
sgtsnowman wrote:Does the motherboard for that computer use the newer Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) instead of the traditional "BIOS" one?

Regards,
MDM
The motherboard I'm attempting the install on is a Gygabite 78LMT-USB3 which has a dual-BIOS design feature and supports "Hybrid EFI". I don't see the actual phrase UEFI listed on the tech specs anywhere. The dual-Bios feature seems to be a malfunction recovery feature. None of the specifications talk spefically about the Hybrid EFI beyond listing it as a feature.

The computer I used to create the bootable USB drive on is quite a bit older. I'll need to dig out the specs on that one if you want both.
_GR

Post by _GR »

Recorded Linux Mint 17.2 on USB flash via Unetbootin. He tried to run but Linux has asked username and password. I waited for 10 seconds, trying to "mint" and a blank password - did not help. Tried to switch smiling into the console using the alt + ctrl + F1 - multiple entries in the console "Authentification failed" and all. Login Form does not give only a meaningless entering letters gives. How to install?
Nippon

Post by Nippon »

Try to restart and then choose install without "live"
canmucha

Post by canmucha »

Hello:
I downloaded Linux mint 17.2 cinnamon on DVD. Asks me to login and install the live dvd passwordc. I have to put here to continue the installation?
xes042

Post by xes042 »

I have tried to boot from the disc (purchased through mint site) I get an error message [ 3.549784] ACPI PCC probe failed.
I am running a toshiba qosmio running windows 10, The system is set to boot from CD 1st and fast boot is turned off.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

xes042 wrote:I have tried to boot from the disc (purchased through mint site) I get an error message [ 3.549784] ACPI PCC probe failed.
I am running a toshiba qosmio running windows 10, The system is set to boot from CD 1st and fast boot is turned off.
It is easier to get good advice when you start a new thread with your problem, rather than adding to an old thread.
Does your disc work on a different computer?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
xes042

Post by xes042 »

Thanks, I am new to this
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Whomever composes the installation guide that is in post one, how about adding what is severely missing:

A detailed process and descriptions including multiple screen shots of the partitioning step that isn't even shown in that guide. Of all things NOT to show, considering it's the most complicated and important step(s). :roll:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

videobruce wrote:Whomever composes the installation guide that is in post one, how about adding what is severely missing:

A detailed process and descriptions including multiple screen shots of the partitioning step that isn't even shown in that guide. Of all things NOT to show, considering it's the most complicated and important step(s). :roll:
Here you go...
GParted partitioning software - Full tutorial
Last edited by austin.texas on Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

Thanks, but that's a bad (dead) link.
"http://wwhttp//www.dedoimedo.com/comput ... arted.html"

confused are "wwhttp" and "htmlw"?? Even without all the prefixes, it's still dead.

I'm referring to what is within the Mint install process screens, not a 3rd party program.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

videobruce wrote:Thanks, but that's a bad (dead) link.
"http://wwhttp//www.dedoimedo.com/comput ... arted.html"

confused are "wwhttp" and "htmlw"?? Even without all the prefixes, it's still dead.

I'm referring to what is within the Mint install process screens, not a 3rd party program.
Sorry for the bad link. It seems I pasted it twice accidentally, so now it is corrected.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gparted.html
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”