Installation Instructions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Installation Instructions

Postby pcpunk on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:12 pm

I am hating Linux as there is no REAL instructiions anywhere! It is rediculous to not be able to install the OS in a simple matter. I don't know who is behind all of this LInux thing but they are surely not using there heads! I am only trying to Re-install LM17MQ32bit over my old corrupted 64bit of the same. I have scoured the internet and youtube to get answers but cannot find much of anything good. There are some good videos but most are not and don't address the particular issue that I am having. I am trying to do a dual boot with my xp system, that has LM17MQ64bit as stated above. So I need to leave the xp there and choose whatever to install new over the old. I have read that this is possible without even making a new partition, and just installing over the old?. I have been workingn on this for a long time now so it has become a waste! I could have just bought a Windows product and been on my way, really would it be that much of a task to just expand the Manual? Then at least people-and especially newbie's could do it on their own ya know. Here is my thread on this issue, I am getting some help from another forum but things are going so slow as people are obviously busy.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=173004
Thanks pcpunk
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400
MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack3, Dual boot=LMMQ17
Intel R Core™2CPU
T5500@1.66GHz 1.66GHz of RAM
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CLHL
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby eRCaGuy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:26 am

Oscar799, I just wrote some detailed steps on how I successfully got dual boot on my AMD-based system, in case others have problems with similar installs and can benefit from my notes. Just thought I'd share: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=177283. Two hurdles were: 1) not natively-supported graphics card (had to use "nomodeset" and then later install the linux driver, and 2) some strange UEFI boot problems that required some strange trickery and then an install of rEFInd.
eRCaGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pcpunk on Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks oscar, always good to have more solutions for everyone although this was not my issue.
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400
MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack3, Dual boot=LMMQ17
Intel R Core™2CPU
T5500@1.66GHz 1.66GHz of RAM
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/CLHL
pcpunk
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox bookmarks.

Postby Wompoo on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 pm

I've just upgraded to Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 32 bit system successfully. I was using Mint 16 previously.
How do I transfer my list favourites in my Firefox browser over to my new operating system please?
Wompoo
Level 4
Level 4

Previous

Return to Installation & Boot