Dual boot Mint 10 & Mint 12 (Solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arkiedan

Dual boot Mint 10 & Mint 12 (Solved)

Post by arkiedan »

Frankly, I'm a bit nervous playing with this. I could use some help.

As the subject says, I was running Mint 10 for quite a while and then, two months ago, I installed Mint 12 in a dual-boot setup (to see if I liked the new Gnome 3). With extensions I do like Mint 12 and would like to drop Mint 10 from the drive. My problem is, Mint 10 is listed as the boot device in Gparted.

Can I get some advice on getting rid of Mint 10 and making Mint 12 the boot device? Logic would dictate that if I delete the Mint 10 partition the boot process will switch to Mint 12. However, I fear I'll be left with an unbootable machine.

I'd appreciate your advice,

arkiedan

Sorry for the double post. Actually didn't know I did it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Dual boot Mint 10 & Mint 12

Post by remoulder »

Please don't double post, you can delete your other post using the small [x] at the top.

On your problem, is mint 12 in the boot menu? I assume you installed mint12 2nd, in which case it should have control of grub and you should have a /boot/grub folder and in there the grub files and the grub.cfg?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From Linux Mint 12 you can try to use Boot Repair, to reinstall GRUB2 to the MBR so Linux Mint 12 holds the GRUB2 files. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topics merged by moderator

Return to “Installation & Boot”