Getting rid of windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Getting rid of windows

Postby techtech on Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 pm

I am currently downloading Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna. I was wondering when you install it, does it get rid of Windows and all it's data? it doesn't matter if it does, I have a reboot CD. I was just wondering, thanks. :)
nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting rid of windows

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:05 pm

You do not have to delete your windows install if you don't want to. When you do the install you can install Mint 4 along side of windows if you wish and dual boot.

See the New Mint 4 guide on this site and it will get you started.

There are several threads in the forum on how to do and set up a dual boot system.

Good luck,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby techtech on Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks, If I do get rid of Windows, will all my Music and Pics be gone? :roll:
nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:06 pm

yes, everything in your windows install will be gone.....Poof! If you want to get rid of windows be sure you back up anything you want to keep to a different partition or take it off the machine for safe keeping. One option is to upload it to Google or some other off site service. Of course cd,s or dvd,s work too.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby techtech on Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:03 pm

nooby
techtech
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot