could not find kernel image

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

could not find kernel image

Postby shaggydog on Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 am

Serious help needed. My Sony Vaio Desktop (yes I know but I like it) refuses to install any of the Mint distros available. The CD iso's just hang before the boot screen and the DVD (the one I really want) gets to the boot screen but refuses to see the kernel with the error "could not find kernel image: /casper/vmlinuz". I am desperate. Other computers have no problems with any of the disks, they have all been written at the slowest speed, the problem computer sees other disks and boots from them, I have also tried an external reader which again works with other boot disks but not minty ones.
Please help.
shaggydog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: could not find kernel image

Postby Chi on Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:56 am

Could try booting the liveCD from a usb key. Had a similar issue with a Toshiba but usb worked fine (or could try an external CD/DVD drive).

Info about making a bootable usb key here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31/usb-linux-mint-install-from-windows/
Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
Chi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby shaggydog on Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:50 am

I have already tried an external CD/DVD drive but will definately give the usb a go - fingers crossed. Many thanks for the reply.
shaggydog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shaggydog on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:20 am

I have had to install Ubuntu 7.10 (kDE) as I just wasn't getting anywhere with any of the minty disks. Obviously I would still prefer the Mint KDE version but it doens't seem possible. Why my computer can see every other (linux) boot disk but mint ones is really annoying! Still hoping someone can help me. Unitl then it's back to KUbuntu.

Having used Mint for a week on my laptop and Ubuntu on my desktop for one day - PLEASE please can somebody help me?
shaggydog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shaggydog on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:23 am

bump
shaggydog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shaggydog on Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:35 am

Solved. After days of banging my head and burning yet more CDs/DVDs I finally bought a USB stick (2gb) and now have a minty KDE version on my desktop. Many thanks.

The best (although Windows) method of USB booting mint is to be found here:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/10/31 ... m-windows/

it took me 10 minutes.
shaggydog
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot