insatallation problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonivines

insatallation problem

Post by tonivines »

Hi! I've installed Mint ( the latest one) alongside Windows XP Pro. When I boot up and I get the choice I scroll to Linux and hit enter. I get the following error message. Try(hd0,0):NTFS5:error:"prefix" is not set.
Any ideas please?
Thank you.
Toni.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: insatallation problem

Post by remoulder »

Is this an install 'inside' Windows using the Mint4win installer or an install to a separate partition on the hard drive? How did you install? If via bootable disc, did you check the MD5Sum and burn at the slowest speed, see How to burn an ISO? Can you boot from the disc and does the 'Check disc for errors' option give any errors? What is the partition layout of your drive and what is on them?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
tonivines

Post by tonivines »

I installed from inside Windows using the Mint4win installer. I downloaded the files from the Mint website and then used Nero to burn them to a DVD disc. I didn't see the MD5Sum, sorry. I'm totally new to this.
Should I try to install again?
Sorry for being a bit dim on this.
Thank you so much for your help,
All the best,
Toni.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

Afraid I'm not able to help with mint4win issues, however put
NTFS5:error:"prefix" is not set site:ubuntuforums.org
into a google search and try some of the suggestions it should bring up.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Installation & Boot”