Installation Fails - Monitor Out of Range

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installation Fails - Monitor Out of Range

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm having a problem installing Daryna on a system with an ASUS motherboard (video built in) and a 1200 x 800 LCD monitor. Booting the live CD results in a 'Monitor Out of Range' message on the screen so I presume that either the video system or the monitor is being incorrectly detected. Carrying out a text-based install works fine until the required reboot when (you've guessed it) the screen goes black and I get 'Monitor Out of Range'.

How do I force the system to work at a working resolution?

Ganty

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation Fails - Monitor Out of Range

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:12 pm

text-based install works fine

Now there is no text based install for Mint, but I wish there was
Assuming that you mean a normal install there may be some help
A) Have you tried "Safe graphics mode"
B) Before you reboot find /boot/grub/menu.lst and edit it
On the line that reads something like this
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet splash

remove quiet splash and add vga=791 at the end
This can be done from the live CD before you reboot and you probably won't have to reinstall.
You may have to use sudo (with a blank password) and you can use the gedit editor.
OR try to bot into recovery mode where you are root and edit the file in the same way using nano as an editor. Perhaps not possible as it seems to be a problem with resolution before X is started.
When you've fixed it and booted the first time add vga=791 at the end of the line that looks like this
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda7 ro single

in menu.lst so you can use recovery mode
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby tenko20xx on Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:54 pm

I've also been having a similar problem. I was installing Daryna over Cassandra on my work machine and when I tried to boot into the live cd mode, when it tried to start the desktop environment, my 22" LCD just lost the signal. What I ended up doing was unplugging the analog connection and plugging in the Digital, assuming that mint would be able to detect what refresh rate to use with a DVI connection. Sure enough, it worked, and everything went fine from that point on. But... I then went to try and install mint on a friend's computer and she had a 17" LCD that was experiencing the same problem. The main issue there is that her monitor does not have a DVI connection available.

I haven't tried doing this "normal install" but I'd really just like to take care of all of this as fluidly as possible and start getting everyone I know away from Windows who doesn't need.
tenko20xx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby breaker on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:02 am

OK, I had a similar problem. I have a widescreen monitor and an ATI video card.

In my case the Safe video mode and various vga options did not work.

Here's my method (should work if you have an ATI or Nvidia card supported by Envy AND a LAN connection).

1) Boot Mint Live CD to graphical menu.
2) Choose "F6" for other options.
3) Delete quiet splash-- and add
Code: Select all
ro single

This is "recovery" mode.
4) The live CD will boot to the command line.
5) run envy -t and follow the prompts
//Edit by husse/You need a working internet connection - not everyone gets that at this point :cry: //
// -That's why I said LAN connection above. -breaker // Perhaps download driver beforehand and mount the disk with driver? //
6) At the Envy menu DON'T reboot, choose Restart X Server
7) Now your desktop should boot, from there run the Mint Installer.
8) The installer should automatically use the settings created by Envy for your new install.

If you DON'T have a supported video card, at step 5, bring your notes as to what resolutions and refresh rates your video card supports, and what your monitor supports. Then use nano to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that you have a setup that is compatible. I've done this on other systems. For the live CD, at this point I think you run gdm next, but I'm not certain, perhaps someone else can chime in. This is a bit more advanced, but a little research should yield good results. I hope these hints help.

Also, see this Mint Wiki Page - Troubleshooting your Live CD: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD

-breaker
Last edited by breaker on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:54 am, edited 8 times in total.
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/
breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:32 am

I'll save this and perhaps add it to the troubleshooter (which is locked for editing, but not for me :))
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby sushihuye on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:09 am

I have the same problem, I will try your advice. wish me luck :D
sushihuye
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:01 pm

This is an excellent solution for those with a working internet connection in CLI and I will add this to the troubleshooter
Sadly I can't use it I don't get internet....
Will have to investigate, but for most people "Failsafe graphics mode" will do
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby breaker on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:49 am

Husse wrote:This is an excellent solution for those with a working internet connection in CLI and I will add this to the troubleshooter
Sadly I can't use it I don't get internet....
Will have to investigate, but for most people "Failsafe graphics mode" will do

It should work better. For example, the Gparted Live CD fails to startx, so it drops me to a command line. However, I run their handy Forcevideo script, then choose vesa and 1024x768 and it loads the GUI. So, perhaps failsafe needs to be made more failsafe.

So I see you edited my post. Cool, I for some reason thought the mint.message menu showed the entire kernel line like the textual grub interface, but then again I worked with grub a lot after I installed Daryna. I actually installed the XFCE CE version.

There should be a guide to editing the xorg.conf. The basic theory is to investigate your monitor and video card specs, then attempt to choose a configuration that matches. Truth be told, I learned the method from the OpenBSD FAQ, which I also recently started playing with.

-breaker
rtfm - read the fine manual...
Boot info script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1291280
grub2 https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
PC-BIOS based booting, mbr, boot records; http://thestarman.pcministry.com/
breaker
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:16 am

It actually shows the entire kernel line - only its different on the live CD
It has a different "set up"
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ControlBoy on Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 am

4 years later... I have the "Out of range" and I tried "Compatibility mode", vga=791..., it doesn't work. Is it possible to add a 800x600 mode on the live cd ?
ControlBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Oscar799 on Wed May 23, 2012 12:16 pm

ControlBoy wrote:4 years later... I have the "Out of range" and I tried "Compatibility mode", vga=791..., it doesn't work. Is it possible to add a 800x600 mode on the live cd ?

This thread is over 4 years old - please don't post new questions on it - instead start your own thread with clear details of the problem you are experiencing
Read these guidelines first viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444&start=0
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby Stitchr on Wed May 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Guest wrote:I'm having a problem installing Daryna on a system with an ASUS motherboard (video built in) and a 1200 x 800 LCD monitor. Booting the live CD results in a 'Monitor Out of Range' message on the screen so I presume that either the video system or the monitor is being incorrectly detected. Carrying out a text-based install works fine until the required reboot when (you've guessed it) the screen goes black and I get 'Monitor Out of Range'.

How do I force the system to work at a working resolution?

Ganty

I've had this problem with some hardware as well. If its happening during the boot process where you never see a desktop try editing the boot option and adding "nomodeset" (without quotes). This works for me
Stitchr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot