Screen goes blank during installation start-up.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Insignias06

Screen goes blank during installation start-up.

Post by Insignias06 »

I've used Mint before and am trying to install it on my new laptop.

The screen goes blank as soon as I start the installation process. I'm pretty sure it happens once GRUB initializes. I tried Ubuntu and OpenSUSE and experienced the same problem, so I'm pretty sure it's hardware related.

The laptop is a Pavilion DV6-6135DX. I has an AMD A8 Llano with 6750M switchable graphics.

I'm also pretty sure that the screen doesn't go "blank" so much as it just shuts off. I've tried to Google but didn't find anything relevant. I looked through the BIOS to see if there was a power option or something but didn't see anything.

I'm bummed because I really want to try Lisa. Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mank_in

Re: Screen goes blank during installation start-up.

Post by mank_in »

maybe you can try nomodeset like : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=94236
If not working try : quite splash nomodeset acpi=off--
Last edited by mank_in on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Insignias06

Post by Insignias06 »

After some finagling, I was able to get that to work. The installation went fine. However, once I tried to reboot after it was finished, I was back to the initial problem.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

If you dual boot , you will see GRUB Menu. if not, hold SHIFT key after BIOS ( if not work repeatedly press ESC key ) to see grub menu, press " e " to edit , add "nomodeset" F10 too boot.
If you can login to desktop maybe you can check "additional driver" to installing proprietary driver for your VGA.
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

A possible "work around":
Here is what I did to get it to work on LUBUNTU, I installed version 11.04 first (version 11 for linux mint should probably provide the same), I upgraded the proprietary amd graphics (ati) through the "additional drivers" option, then I rebooted. AFTER complete boot and I was in graphical interface, I inserted the disk, closed down the windows that popped up, Made sure I was connected to the internet via wired connection, went into the "update manager" and selected "upgrade" at the top of the screen. This way version 11.10, never had to do without the proprietary graphics drivers. Hopefully this works for linux mint as well.

I consider that a "work around" and not a real solution. I am currently looking for a real solution to this problem myself. I have not tried this on Linux mint yet. But I am guessing I will probably have to. I will try the install with the hardwired connection from the get go first. If that doesn't work then I'll have to download version 11 and then do the long drawn out process of installing one, then UPGRADING to the other.

The architecture I had the problem on was a samsung laptop with the amd a6 vision quad core and the radeon 6xxxx graphics chipset (integrated I believe). everything I found says it is an issue with how gdm3 handles the graphics.

No-modeset for testing the os would take me to a command line, using no-modeset for going straight to install would allow me to install but then after reboot would go to the same problem. I had never tried having the hardwired connection though.

I think the problem, while hardware oriented, is really the changes that ubuntu or gdm3 made, not certain which yet as I am not yet technically proficient enough to make that assesment.

IF I find a solution or IF I have to do the "workaround" and it solves the problem I will post it step by step here as best as I can.
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

I thought I'd post an update on the efforts I am making on this same problem. I tried both "nomodeset--" and "nomodeset acpi=off--" and they both took me to a command line. So while I'm still searching the internet I am also downloading the version 11 iso in case I have to try the "workaround"

What would be a half decent solution would be step by step instructions on how to do a commandline install that includes instructions on how to download and install the proprietary graphics drivers DURING the install process. Even better for n00bs like me would be a step by step on how to force a graphical install with included instructions on how to install the proprietary graphics drivers during the install. IF I find anything like this I will post it here.
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

Another update/progress report:
"
booting from the live CD and hitting tab when the count down starts takes me to the menu where I can choose what to boot.

I hit the down arrow until the compatibility mode was highlighted
I pressed the tab key and RIGHT before the two dashes -- I typed in nomodeset, leaving everything else then I hit enter
The system booted into a graphical interface. I could not find anywhere to search for the proprietary graphical drivers so I left it there for a few hours while trying a few hundred different search phrases trying to find a solution.

After finding what I hope will help, making sure I had the hardwired connection to the internet, I clicked the install icon and went through the preinstall screens. as an fyi I chose to "do something else" and manually partition my system into 3 partitions for the linux portion (and because I am making it a dual boot with an OS already installed), boot, swap, and root.

After all the standard preinstall options it is now copying files and downloading. IF it boots into a blank screen after install I will attempt the following:

I will select "recovery mode" from the grub menu. If there are any options I will select with network, and I hope to get a command line. Then I will try the following, in the order written:

OPTION 1:
This is from the same issue in ubuntu 11.10 (latest release that mint-lisa is based from) it is performed after booting into compatability mode with a working commandline and working hardwired internet connection.
Step 1: Edit /etc/apt/Sources.list with a terminal-friendly editor:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/apt/Sources.list
Step 2: Uncomment the lines that add "Partner" sources by removing the '#':

# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu oneiric partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu oneiric partner

Step 3: Update your repositories:

sudo get-apt update
Step 4: Install the 3rd Party ATI/Radeon driver fglrx:

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle
Reboot and cross your fingers. Hope this helps. It's such a shame that Linux is still so buggy. I recommended my friend opt out from buying a Windows laptop after showing her Ubuntu. I certainly couldn't imagine her going to so much trouble and frustration to get the install to work... fingers crossed that I'm still around in 6 months when the next version of Ubuntu is released or she might have to make the switch back to WinBlow$.
thread found here ---->http://askubuntu.com/questions/79416/bl ... phics-card

IF for any reason the repositories are NOT in the file in question, as long as this is the valid file for linux mint 12, then I will simply add 2 lines for them and try the rest of the solution as written.

IF option one does not work then I will try option 2 as a second to last resort:

OPTION 2:
This is from a very old (2007) issue posted on the ubuntu forums and the video card was an nVidia but I am hoping that the new system simply has updated versions of the packages.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
You can probably go with the default for most screens, but select "vesa" for your video driver.
Then:

startx
Or reboot.
This should at least get you to a GUI, then you can search how to install the correct video drivers for your card.

-merlin
thread found here ---->http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=528143

I will post my progress and whether or not the above works, if I have to try it. If it does not then the "workaround" will be the only thing left for me to try, but I expect it to work since it has worked in both ubuntu and lubuntu for the latest version.

Note:
in my searches this seems to be an issue that continues to rear its head in ubuntu and seems, from what I can see, to affect integrated video chips of both Nvidia and ATI(now amd). I have seen it reported for both laptops and desktops but mostly laptops. GDM3 seems to be listed as the most likely culprit and with this latest release from ubuntu it seems that the new thing of switching to "high graphics mode" causes the system to shut off the power to the monitor. the sytem still boots into the live cd, you just can't see it. and once you find the way to force the install, as both the author of this thread and I have, then you experience the problem on reboot, and modeset will just take you back to a command line.
Insignias06

Post by Insignias06 »

mank_in wrote:If you dual boot , you will see GRUB Menu. if not, hold SHIFT key after BIOS ( if not work repeatedly press ESC key ) to see grub menu, press " e " to edit , add "nomodeset" F10 too boot.
If you can login to desktop maybe you can check "additional driver" to installing proprietary driver for your VGA.
That did work after sever tries. I got to the desktop and there were two proprietary drivers. The newer one failed. I tried the older one and it seemed to work, but when I rebooted to finish installation it hangs on GRUB.

I've restated several times and it just hangs in the same place.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

It likely currently AMD driver have problem with switchable graphic in your laptop.Check BIOS setting , maybe have option to disable onboard/discrete graphic. I don't have experience with this notebook, but try boot in recovery mode ( command shell)

aticonfig --acpi-services=off
reboot
If not works, boot in compatibility mode again

sudo Xorg -configure
Last resort, if not work completely remove ATI driver ( you will use open source driver again)

sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

mank_in wrote:It likely currently AMD driver have problem with switchable graphic in your laptop.Check BIOS setting , maybe have option to disable onboard/discrete graphic. I don't have experience with this notebook, but try boot in recovery mode ( command shell)
I don't think that is correct. I have already checked bios for any and all issues that may arise and there is nothing there at all that might help resolve the issue at hand.

I do not believe this unit, or any other unit that I've read about with this exact problem, has switchable graphics. I've looked up the graphics on this unit and it seems to be strictly an amd(ati) Radeon integrated chip. This problem, from what I have been able to gather, happens with both ATI(AMD) and nVidia cards, and they seem to usually be integrated chipsets. That is not to say that that it doesn't happen with other configurations, these are just the ones I have found after days of diligent searching over many different forums. After I resolve this issue on this one Laptop, I intend to try it on two more 64 bit units with different AMD processors but also the integrated RADEON CHIP (ATI/AMD)

Switchable graphics implies to me to be something like the nVidia optimus and it's predecessor with the manual switch. Two graphics chips, usually an intel integrated, and a "discreet" or "dedicated" card, and the only experience I have with this are the nVidia cards dedicated/discreet cards which do NOT have this problem because the install recognizes the intel chipset and installs workable graphics. then it's only a matter of getting the nVidia side of things working, which can usually be resolved. Again, my experience is limited to the hardware I have, and my knowledge suplemented only by the forums I've read, but this problem appears to date all the way back to 2007 and spans several distros. They get it fixed in one distro and it pops up in another.
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

Another update:

I tried the install and received a blank screen.

With some experimenting I found that if I edited the standard boot option and inserted "nomodeset" after the "vthandoff=7" I could boot into a graphical interface.

So I went to "system settings" and clicked on "additional drivers" and the driver was there, I tried to "activate" the driver and it appeared to work but when I rebooted it hung at the checking battery state. this issue has happend with both laptops and desktops and is discussed in option one so I figured I'd go ahead and try option one BUT . . . Linux mint 12 does NOT have one boot option that ubuntu 11.10 DOES have "NETBOOT"

The recovery mode boots into "read only" and I cannot find an option in it to allow a normal boot that leaves the read only mode.

So at the moment I am trying to figure out how to edit the boot line to provide a command line with network config. Hopefully it is just a simple matter of changing or removing something in the main boot option with the edit option.

I will post any updates as they appear relevant.
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

From HP website , video memory is switchable graphic AMD Radeon HD 6750M .
DV6-6135dx have discrete graphic AMD Radeon HD 6750M and A8-3500M processor has integrated AMD Radeon HD 6620G
flanmaster

Post by flanmaster »

mank_in wrote:From HP website , video memory is switchable graphic AMD Radeon HD 6750M .
DV6-6135dx have discrete graphic AMD Radeon HD 6750M and A8-3500M processor has integrated AMD Radeon HD 6620G
My apologies, I have re-read the original author's post and his is a switchable graphics unit. I failed to see this when I started out on my tests. But I did see where he already tried checking the bios.

At this point I will branch my experiments off into my own thread once I find the solution in an effort to keep apples and oranges separate.

Return to “Installation & Boot”