[solved}Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

[solved}Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Postby SmokngunsLinGer on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I burned Linux Mint (12 Lisa 64 bit) to a cd (bootable) and launched installation. I first tried to install within Windows (7 Home Premium) and rebooted upon prompt. When I tried to boot, it gave me the option to boot with Windows 7 or Linux Mint. Selected Linux, it gave me a 5 sec count down for boot options, I let it expire so the installation would continue as is, the screen went black, then the display turned off altogether. I got the same result when I tried installing the demo and full installation. I also tried to continue the installation by selecting boot in 'graphics safe mode' with the exact same result. Could it be my graphics card? I have an AMD Radeon(TM) HD6480G. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!! I wanna break free of Windows.... Thanks in advance!!

**I've also tried installing the latest version Ubuntu and am getting the exact same result >_<

***Add Fedora 16 to that list. I get the message 'Gnome 3 failed to load and is in fallback mode'. I got the latest video card drivers and tried again but to no avail...

****Linux Arch is also on the list..... FML!!!
Last edited by SmokngunsLinGer on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SmokngunsLinGer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Postby xenopeek on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:48 pm

At the countdown screen when booting Linux Mint DVD, press a key. Then highlight (don't press enter!) the second entry in the menu, and press Tab to edit its boot parameters. Before the final double-dash (--) on that line, add "nomodeset acpi=off" (without the quotes). See if this allows you to boot into the live session, so you can start the installation.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Linux

Postby SmokngunsLinGer on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:18 am

Vincent Vermeulen
You ROCK!!!! Thanks for your help!!!
SmokngunsLinGer
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved}Cannot boot, display turns off after I select Li

Postby SmokngunsLinGer on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:48 am

Please read this page, it worked for me!!

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=94299
SmokngunsLinGer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kernowmint on Sat May 05, 2012 3:08 pm

I've been having the same problem with my HP g6 Pavilion laptop with Intel HD graphics. I thought I'd cracked it when I was able to get it to boot using "no modeset" and "acpi=off", but then I discovered that setting "acpi=off" means I can't shutdown the system properly, it freezes part way through shutdown and I have to force a shutdown using the power button. Somewhere on this forum or another one I saw someone suggest typing "shutdown -P now" at the terminal, but is it OK to do that every time?

Note the lengths some of us will go to in order to avoid going back to Windows!
kernowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Sat May 05, 2012 4:06 pm

kernowmint, the nomodeset should only be needed until you install proper graphics card drivers. Suggest you ask here viewforum.php?f=59 for help on that. Please include the output of the following command in your support request:
Code: Select all
inxi -Fc 0

As for the acpi=off, yes this will cause the acpi (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) from not working. You may instead try acpi=noirq, see if that still allows you to boot.

Documentation on kernel parameters: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentatio ... meters.txt
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby kernowmint on Mon May 07, 2012 11:52 am

Thank you Vincent, I'll try those things when I get a chance.
kernowmint
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot