Installation -- how long will it take (or has it stopped)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installation -- how long will it take (or has it stopped)

Postby Silverwingsketcher on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

I went through the installation process.

However, it's been stuck on 15% (Detecting file systems) on the 'uninstalling system' step for a good number of minutes. Is this normal?

How long can I expect for it to complete?

Also, in addition, I'm trying to dual boot windows and linux. I've set up the root folder of linux on an external HDD. If I boot the computer after installation will I have an option of which OS to choose? I've seen various freeware software to do this, but I'm uncertain if Mint would do this automatically for me or not.

Any replies would be much appreciated.
Silverwingsketcher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installation -- how long will it take (or has it stopped)

Postby muskratmx on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:07 pm

How long can I expect for it to complete?

It depends on how old/slow a system you have. I run 1ghz with 512mb ram and the whole install from start to finish takes about 20 minutes.

I'm trying to dual boot windows and linux. I've set up the root folder of linux on an external HDD. If I boot the computer after installation will I have an option of which OS to choose?

This questions is a little harder to answer.

By choice, do you mean bois choice or boot loader choice?

Bois choice depends on your machine. Some bois will allow booting to an external HD, but won't asset so after grub passes control off to the kernel it hanges because the kernel hasn't loaded all the modules yet and it doesn't have the proper drivers to handle the USB drive. Other Bois seem to work fine even after passing off to grub and the kernel.

By choice, do you mean grub menu?

That will depend which mbr you install grub to. the internal or external HD. Once again you might have problems loading the system after grub passes it off to the kernel. If you put the grub on the internal HD mbr, and the root is on an external HD, that will create another problem No system will boot without the external HD present, because /boot is on the external HD.

If your BIOS supports it I'd install the grub boot loader to the external HD and hope it works. If not then there are other work arounds. But it would require partitioning the internal HD to put /boot on the internal HD.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Installation -- how long will it take (or has it stopped)

Postby Fred on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:11 pm

muskratmx,

Just a quick note and I have to run. Domestic issues. :-)

Have him make a small /boot partition on the first hard drive, so it doesn't use his windows space, and put swap and / (root) on the external drive, /home too if you think it is appropriate. :-)

Install grub into mbr pointing to the /boot partition. After install copy "/etc/grub/message.mint"into "/boot/grub". Change the line "gfxmenu=/etc/grub/message.mint" in "/boot/grub/menu.lst" to "gfxmenu=/grub/message.mint".

This will allow the boot screen to work even if the external hard drive isn't attached.

Silverwingsketcher, don't worry, muskratmx will fix you up.

Gota Go... Good luck,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot