Making xp boot by default

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Making xp boot by default

Postby Lukesedney on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:39 pm

My system has two drives, and xp is on the main drive and the most recent linux mint on the slave. Currently, in order to boot into XP, I have to switch to xp within ten seconds of the splash screen appearing or it will automatically boot into linux. Is there a way to change this? Other people use this computer that are pretty technically oblivious and it would be a lot easier if action special was required to boot into linux instead of windows.
Lukesedney

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Making xp boot by default

Postby idiotkiwi on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:08 am

I am no expert so someone else may also respond diferently. If so follow their advice.

Go into the terminal change directory to boot/grub and edit your menu.lst file as root (sudo gedit menu.lst)

It will have your Mint as the first entry after all the descriptions and followed by an XP entry.

Highlight and copy your XP entry and paste it into position above the Mint entry. Save and exit.

You should then be able to reboot with XP as the first distro.

If all is OK you can later remove the duplicate XP entry. If not OK you can restore to the original

Regards
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Lukesedney on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 am

Thanks. That worked perfectly.
Lukesedney

Postby Fred on Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:47 am

Ahhh yes, it worked. But It won't keep working. When the kernel is auto updated you will be screwed up.

Go back in to menu.lst and undo what you did. Up toward the top you will see a line, "default 0" change it to, "default 4". That is the correct way.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Installation & Boot