Mint on SSD - and how much SWAP on 12 GB Ram?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Homwer

Mint on SSD - and how much SWAP on 12 GB Ram?

Post by Homwer »

Hi,
i would like to install Mint on my 30 GB SSD - and i'm wondering if its possible place some parts of it on my normal HD?
And how much SWAP is appropriated , having 12 GB Ram ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
technoferret

Re: Mint on SSD - and how much SWAP on 12 GB Ram?

Post by technoferret »

Unless your into some VERY serious 3D graphic rendering I wouldn't think you'd need ANY swap having 12 Gig of memory.

If you want to save space on your SSD then it might be a good idea to set up /home on the hard drive but you'll have to ask someone more linux savvy than me as to how to do it.

Cheers, dave
Homwer

Post by Homwer »

Ok, thank you, i've heard that there should be some serious problems when the ram is full and no swap partition is available.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

As technoferret already said, you probably don't need a SWAP with that amount of RAM but if you want a SWAP try zram, it's a RAM compressed (lzo) swap so will not touch your SSD.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

With SSD, I'll go with Nunol on this. ZRAM would probbly be best with your RAM, here's an idea at using ZRAM http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/150355/#p150355

Return to “Installation & Boot”