Help! Boot/Grub errors.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help! Boot/Grub errors.

Postby eroz on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:38 pm

Ok. I've been using Linux Mint for maybe 2 months or so. I've been liking it so far but a couple of days ago I was trying to install gcstar via "synaptics install" but the program wouldn't work. So I uninstalled it and reinstalled it again a few times, thinking that it didn't install correctly. I ended up rebooting and when I got back into Mint a message or two popped up. I don't remember what they said...but I thought they were about the program I was playing around with, so I clicked on Remove. I think it might have been Mintmenu, because afterwards Daryna, windows-like start button, disappeared and my mouse was not working and I was not able to do anything. I rebooted again and tried to get into Mint, regular and safe mode, and was unable, it would just freeze at startup. I was not able to get into Vista as well. I couldn't find any solution other than to fix Vista's MBR with the Vista Installation Recovery disk. Now I am able to access Vista.

What can I do to fix Mint? The partitions are still there.
eroz
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help! Boot/Grub errors.

Postby muskratmx on Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:54 pm

You might reinstall, that would be the quickest and easiest means to the end.

As for not installing correctly if you don't get errors during the install it installed correctly. If it don't work after that then it's got a bug or some depedency has a bug.

OR there are other steps to getting it up and running, repeating a install with no errors won't help, especially if you don't purge the system. becuase when you uninstall in linux it doesn't remove all the config files, which you might have setup to your personal perference, the system doesn't know so they aren't removed unless you tell it to.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot