Persistent USB install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Persistent USB install

Postby pinghacker on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:08 pm

I've been looking for a way to do a persistent USB drive install of mint with no luck. I found the following instruction for Ubuntu 7.10:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/09/28 ... n-install/

I assume that it should work for Mint, other than step 17 and 18 (see image).

Any help will be appreciated.
pinghacker
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Persistent USB install

Postby Husse on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:37 pm

That guide should work - but you obviously have to go through the guide and make appropriate changes in quite a few places, not just step 17 and 18
This howto is about the same and covers persistency if you read the whole topic. Some have not managed to get it while some have - I have no idea why - can't dive deep into everything
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3250&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby shinghei on Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:57 pm

pinghacker, did the instructions work? If so, what tweaks did you have to make?
shinghei
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Aganyur on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:02 am

Hi there!
A question on the persistent install:
Is there a more Simple way?
Don't Expect anything from me, for this Linux is the first one which seems to be kind of nice, but as I require this restricted driver-thing for my Belkin WLAN to connect to the INternet, I have a problem... Mint tries to Download something from the internet required to connect to the internet... :roll:

So please show me, experienced Windows-user, only very little experience on linux, a simple way on how to create a persistent USB install, so I do not have to reconfigure things on every boot, or that I only have to connect to my router by wired LAN once, or whatever there will be...

Greetings

PS: Do not hesitate to ask if you don't understand what I mean... As German I've got some problems with expressing this problem in english....
Aganyur
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rec9140 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 am

I've looked at all the references to the various posts here and pendrivelinux etc...

There are obviously things that need to be changed between the ubuntu version on pdl for mint.

I am very interested in this and I have an 8GB stick ready and waiting to go for this. I even tried to just use Mint Install to try and install it on the USB stick, that failed big time with Mint Install just keeping going back to the partition choice window.

So if some of the experts can help I am willing to do the testing as I need to get this and another stick made.

Then we can post this to a site some place with exact instructions for every ones benefit.

Hopefully future versions of the LM KDE with have a USB install option.

So I am in for testing and anything else I can do, but I can not sort out the differences needed for the PDL intructions either.

And I am specifically after the Linux Mint KDE CE version.

Thanks.
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:51 am

I'm sorry I can't be of much assistance (yet anyway) as I only have a 1 GB stick and that's not enough to install on, not to talk of lack of time to try it out. However I think I've read reports of success in the forum
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Aganyur on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 am

Will there be a new Mint-Version when Ubuntu 8 is released the day after tomorrow?
Maybe this one then has an automatic persistent USB-Live-Installation-feature.

Still if anybody has a working persistent Mint, post your way how you got it working!
Aganyur
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 pm

We have to expect a delay for Elyssa of some three weeks, maybe a bit more as also Elyssa is to be a LTS
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Aganyur on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:26 pm

Is there already a guide for a persistent USB-Install for Elyssa out?
atm I have a Ubuntu Hardy on my 2GB Flashdrive, but it has bad problems with my WLAN, so I'd just like to try the new mint again.
For the Darnya there was a manual on pendrivelinux.com, but I think it was not for persistence... The new guide for the persistent Installation of Hardy and the following conversion from Windows could work for Mint too, maybe I just try and tell you whether it worked.

A Hint for all those who get tired by all the guides that require a working Linux environment: WuBi can install a full blown Ubuntu on your local Harddrive without touching partitions, MBR, and so on. Just install or uninstall it like any other application.

Greetings
Aganyur
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot