No password in user accounts

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No password in user accounts

Postby Shane269 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 pm

I changed the setting in user accounts to have no password and auto logon. Now when I go to terminal and type sudo then a command it asks for a password if I leave it blank and press enter is say invalid password. if I type the previous password it still says invalid. I seem to be stuck in a loop and I am not sure how to get out of it so I can have SU access. Any help? I can still log on to the system fine the issue only shows up in terminal and if I try to change the password in User accounts it asks me for a password that I don't have. Is there a default embedded password that it is expecting in this case?
Shane269
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No password in user accounts

Postby vanDoom on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Removing the password required for logon does not erase your password from the system. It is still required to do other system related changes. So whatever your password was originally...that is still the password. Use that when trying to use 'sudo'.
vanDoom
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Shane269 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:31 am

vanDoom wrote:Removing the password required for logon does not erase your password from the system. It is still required to do other system related changes. So whatever your password was originally...that is still the password. Use that when trying to use 'sudo'.

Thanks, this does appear to be partially correct my old password works for su in terminal but not for the sudo command. The good thing is this does enable me to do the things I need to do but I still need to figure out a way to change my log in password in terminal so I can make sudo work again.
Shane269
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tpullano on Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:00 pm

Shane,

Any progress on this? As i did the same thing, and vandoom didn't answer the questions since you (and I) tried the original password without success.
tpullano
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dmroberts on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Hello, everyone

I'd really like to bump this thread. I'm in the same boat.

Shane269 wrote:I changed the setting in user accounts to have no password and auto logon. Now when I go to terminal and type sudo then a command it asks for a password if I leave it blank and press enter is say invalid password. if I type the previous password it still says invalid. I seem to be stuck in a loop and I am not sure how to get out of it so I can have SU access. Any help? I can still log on to the system fine the issue only shows up in terminal and if I try to change the password in User accounts it asks me for a password that I don't have. Is there a default embedded password that it is expecting in this case?

I don't want to type "su", I would rather just be able to do it like I'm used to and typing "sudo command"

And when I go back to User Accounts, I can't even Unlock it, because it asks for a password, and leaving it blank doesn't work.

Someone please help me resolve this.
dmroberts
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot