Question concerning synaptic

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Question concerning synaptic

Postby iviax on Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:29 am

Maybe it is a stupid question, but I cannot figure out how to uninstall programs, that add files they depend on.
For instance, if I install freeviewer (TV-Guide) it installs xmltv and a whole load ob lib.... files.
Then, if it comes to the deinstallation, do I have to select each of the files manually by reading my history ?

And second question is: If you uninstall a program by using synaptic, does it automatialy delete all remaining data? The program package for example and so on ?

thanks for your help,
I could`t find answers for this by searching the forum.
iviax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Question concerning synaptic

Postby Husse on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:06 am

What happens when you uninstall depends on wether it was a .deb package or not
All installs through apt and Synaptic and mintInstall if it used apt and Synaptic removes "all" files
I write "all" because in the normal case configuration files are left, but if you use Synaptic you will see that there are two uninstall alternatives, without (default) and with config files.
And of course you find all apps installed this way in Synaptic as it's just a graphical front end for apt
Programs/applications installed some other way - i.e. compiled by you (using config and/or install and/or make) are a different story. Some may have an uninstaller some not
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot