[solved] Mint 12 switch to KDE

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[solved] Mint 12 switch to KDE

Postby helgatheviking on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:07 pm

I have a dual boot system with Win7 and Mint 12 already set up. It took me forever to figure out how to get the symlinks set up to share data folders and I'd really rather not start from scratch, but I saw that Linux Mint 12 KDE came out and since I am sick of windows and frustrated w/ Gnome/unity I wanted to try it. Is there a way to switch to the KDE flavor of the mint distro without reinstalling everything??
Last edited by helgatheviking on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
helgatheviking
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 12 switch to KDE

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:42 pm

You can install the package kde-full, this will add the option to your current installation at the login screen (the gearwheel icon) to start a KDE session.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby helgatheviking on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:51 pm

thanks Vincent! though i got a ilttle impatient and it is probably better to have a full install anyway. i'm sure i'm going to run into plenty more problems.. (i mean challenges)
helgatheviking
Level 2
Level 2

Postby helgatheviking on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:12 pm

man do i wish i had been a little more patient. can't figure out how to symlink my home directory to my shared partition. headphone jack doesn't work (never did i guess even on the gnome version), USB speakers don't work (probably same).. who knows the status of the mic and camera. intensely frustrated by even the copy and paste commands being difficult. i'm not a total computer noob, and i have used ubuntu before mint, but man this just seems hard. did like the KDE interface better than unity though...
helgatheviking
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot