Partition problem during installation.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Partition problem during installation.

Postby Elwood on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I've got a really messy problem. This is my first touch with Linux, so sorry for my lame style of describing.
I tried to install Linux Mint 4.0 Main on my new HDD (160GB). I played a LiveCD, started to install, and everything was fine until...
1. In step 4 system has been checking file systems on HDD for 5 minutes (i think it's a little beat too long)
2. I confirmed everything in step 7 and installation crashed in 0% (1st time) and 5% (second time). Reason: Linux couldn't create a partition.

I chose default what was dealing with partitions. I have no idea what to do.
Elwood

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partition problem during installation.

Postby muskratmx on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Did you defarg your windows instalation? It's ad viced to run defrag and scandisk from windows frist. If you want to gut windows choose a different choice besides the default and tell it to choose the whole drive.

I assume you have windows installed on your box. Often times windows makes such a mess out of the drive, that linux just fails on that portion. No fault of Linux, it's failing on purpose to protect you and your windows install, windows would never have that thoughtfull responds to linux.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Elwood on Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for answer. It's very passible that win left some rubbish. I tried to avoid everything what is connected with microsoft, but i see there is no power to destroy Redmond's monopoly. Could u tell me... are in every distrib of linux problems like this one?
Elwood

Postby NoClue! on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Elwood, take it easy buddy we'll get you going.
Is this the only hd on the system (you infer that it is a new hd)
Did you already install windows?
Do you want to dual boot with windows and mint?
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Postby muskratmx on Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 am

Thanks for answer. It's very passible that win left some rubbish. I tried to avoid everything what is connected with microsoft, but i see there is no power to destroy Redmond's monopoly. Could u tell me... are in every distrib of linux problems like this one?

Ok "By avoid microsoft". You mean remove microsoft? That's where Linux sails with the best of OSs.

The problem is you stayed with the defaults, and linux is protecting your windows instalation, to prepare a dual booting system.

You got choices, that's what linux is all about. Lots of Choices!!!!!

Frist decide, "Do I want windows to reside on this box with my linux?" (Dual Booting, the default install)

Now as in all of live each choice you make dictates your next choices available to you.

If you say "Yes dualboot"

Then frist you should boot into windows and defrag, some folks even advice running scandisk also. After that the default install should work with now errors.

If you say "No I don't want MS around anymore!"

Then during the install when it comes to the disk section (partitioning) choice use the whole disk, not the default. Then it should go with no errors.

As for destroying Redmond's monopoly, It's done crumbling they just don't know it yet.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Installation & Boot