Cannot login into my account, and cant recover my files

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danielnieto

Cannot login into my account, and cant recover my files

Post by danielnieto »

First of all, I'm new to linux, and i installed Linux Mint on my pc, then i moved ALL of my files to this OS, i had to erase the HDD where the backup was, so the only copy of all my files is in this distro, after using it a little and setting a password for my account i installed some drivers, after reboot, i cant login into my accout anymore, i put the password and then a black screen appears and then it goes back to the login window, i can login from Root or guest though, but i cannot see the files in my main accout, i've tried to remove the HDD and plug it on another pc with windows, from there i can see a bunch of files but all of them are .crypt extension or something like that, so, what can i do to be able to recover my files??? can i boot from console and decrypting my data? if so, how can i do it? or there is a way of restoring boot configuration? or something like that? please help, i dont want to end up lossing my information, and hating linux!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spandey

Re: Cannot login into my account, and cant recover my files

Post by spandey »

You can login as root right. Hope you remember your userid. Then login as root. Open a Terminal and type

Code: Select all

passwd xxxxxxx
Here XXXXXX is your userid.

Return to “Installation & Boot”