No Menu bar or top bar running Mint 12 Live

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

No Menu bar or top bar running Mint 12 Live

Postby base_nine on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:58 pm

I have an old desktop that does not boot up in Win XP anymore. Since I lost my XP CD I cannot fix it so decided to try Linux instead. I’ve downloaded Mint 12 Gnome 32-bit and burned a DVD. When I run Mint "Live" ie booting from DVD, I do not get the Menu bar or the bar along the top. During boot-up, both bars show and then disappear.

Desktop specs
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM. Motherboard is Genuine Intel from about 6 years ago - don't know exact model number
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon RV100 – max resolution is 1680x1050 with my Acer P221W Monitor
This desktop works with Ubuntu 11.10, Zorin 5.2 and Puppy 5.3.1

After searching the forum, here’s what I’ve tried:
1. Ran Mint Live on brand new ASUS laptop and everything worked – so DVD is not the problem
2. Back on the desktop, I did Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and tried Gnome Classis and tried all the rest – no change … bars still did not appear
3. Reduced screen resolution all the way down to 800x600 trying all options in case graphics card could not cope – again no change.
4. Downloaded Mint from a different mirror site and tried all of the above again.

What else can I try? Since I cannot get to the Menu bar, I’ll need keystroke instructions to open the Terminal or anything else. I cannot even shut down the computer without pressing the power button!

I do not want to install and run Mint from the hard-drive until I know it is going to work on this computer. Right now, I’m running Ubuntu 11.10 on this desktop, but I’d like something more user friendly so my wife can use it as well. I liked Mint when I ran it on the laptop, but I need to get it running on this desktop.

I am new to Linux and this forum but not new to computers. I used to program in UNIX about 20 years ago but my skills are very rusty. I would say that I’m above average in the Windows environment. Thanks in advance for the help I know I'm going to get.
base_nine
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No Menu bar or top bar running Mint 12 Live

Postby cjfrench on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:25 pm

I have the same problem on both a laptop and a desktop. I have reinstalled Katya on the laptop with no problems. The iso file (DVD 32-bit version) passed md5, and the DVD passes the install check. Any advice to be had ?

John
cjfrench
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cjfrench on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:59 am

base nine,

Nobody helping us, so I have been playing. Try Ctl-Alt-Backspace. For me this logs me out, and gives a log-in box. Click on the cog-wheel thing, and choose MATE, then enter your password. This has given me a "proper" desktop. Don't know if it will now behave, or if this has to be done each time. Good luck !

John
cjfrench
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cjfrench on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Well, it didn't stick - I had to go through the same rigamarole when I restarted, but then I used Update Manager to update everything, and now it is behaving properly.
cjfrench
Level 1
Level 1

Postby base_nine on Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 pm

As you can see in my original post, I tried Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and none of the options worked for me. I'm going to try the non-codec version and if that does not work, I'm giving up on Mint. Pity because I liked what I saw on the laptop, but I really need an OS for my desktop.

Thanks for trying, though and good luck on your own install.
base_nine
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot