Boot problems with Live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Boot problems with Live CD

Postby dholl2000 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:51 pm

OK here is my sit-rep;

have an old IBM netvista desktop workstation - P3-1.0GHz, 256MB RAM, partitions: /dev/hda1 = WinXP; /dev/hda2 = ext3 fs; /dev/hda3 = swap (400MB)

The CD I have burned is valid and used to install on a laptop I have.
The IBM netvista CD-drive is, well, poor at best. I get alot of I/O ERROR buffer errors on some distros, Ubuntu 6.10 (or greater), 6.06 (or lower) install OK. PCLinuxOS - same I/O ERROR problem with CD drive.

Slackware 12 and deriv's work fine (zenwalk, vector), but god damn it I really want Linux Mint 4 on this workstation.

I have googled about and I see the ubuntu alternative ISO's can be installed from a hard drive - but not Live CD's.

Is it possible to install a Live CD from a hard drive if you have CD drive prob's like above?

Also, I have tried the wiki [http://linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting_your_Live_CD] but when I get dumped into Busybox it cannot find piix module when I enter:
Code: Select all
modprobe piix

Any light thrown on this would be sincerely appreciated - gr8 dist BTW
dholl2000
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot problems with Live CD

Postby Husse on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:29 am

It is possible to boot from a hard disk, but really difficult and there is at least on description of it somewhere in this forum
But it's relatively easy to use a pendrive instead of a CD link below
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3250&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
A busybox is not really of much use, you should have a normal CLI to be able to do anything of significance. Unfortunately sometimes the only thing you get is a busybox
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot