Install Bug

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lost

Install Bug

Post by lost »

Mint linux has a problem installing on my system. I have a PATA drive installed and a SATA drive w/ a SATA add in card. I am installing Mint on the SATA. The PATA has Windows(I think it works lol) and Ubuntu7.10. I am installing Mint 4.0 to the SATA. The BIOS is set to boot the SATA first. During install the default GRUB is hd0 which is correct but the Live CD thinks the PATA is hd0 which is wrong. To get around this I tell the install to install GRUB on hd1. When the install is all done I now have to fix grub so the system will boot. I have to edit every line that points to the the wrong place ie the install has root = hd1,0 for Mint well no it is hd0,0. hd1,0 is windows but the install has it as hd0,0 and ubuntu as hd0,1 when it should be hd1,0 and hd1,1. After I edit everything all boots well.

I do not know if this is known or not but this is annoying and will cause problems for beginners
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Install Bug

Post by Husse »

Grub is a tough matter...
Which drive becomes (hd0) depends on (how the installer interprets) the hardware layout
In this case it is correct to set the PATA/IDE as (hd0) as it is on the motherboard while the SATA is on a PCI card which always is secondary to the motherboard
The primary IDE master will be (hd0), the primary SATA will be (hd0)
When both exists on the motherboard (hd0) will be the one the motherboard gives priority, on modern boards the SATA (correct me if I'm wrong)
Why could you not use the IDE disk?

Return to “Installation & Boot”