[solved] Mint4Win is it safe

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linktopower

[solved] Mint4Win is it safe

Post by linktopower »

Hello!, I was wondering if it safe doing this?

The reason is...one time I've heard that if you have Ubuntu installed though and you updated it. and would mess up the windows MBR.
Now I do not know if Linux mint would do the same thing...Because I would hate to do a dual boot with Linux mint and windows xp. then I update Linux mint. and then by some crazy chance it mess's up windows.

Could someone enlighten me on this? is this safe?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mint4Win is it safe

Post by kc1di »

I would say this first back up all important data.
If you do an upgrade and it upgrades grub2 it will ask you if you want to keep your current grub 2 config file. as long as you do that you should be ok upgrading. if you do update the grub config file it's easily fixed to re capture windows Should be no problem.
But as I said always back up first!!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
linktopower

Re: Mint4Win is it safe

Post by linktopower »

Okay thanks for filling me on that. I'll keep a watch out for that grub 2 upgrade :)
And 1st priority is always back up! I'm a backup nut xD

again thanks :)
cwwgateway

Re: [solved] Mint4Win is it safe

Post by cwwgateway »

Mint4win (and wubi) use the windows boot mechanism, and then once you select them from the windows boot menu it goes to grub, so I doubt that it'd affect the mbr. I've done more mint4win/wubi installs than I can count and they've never messed up the mbr. Actual dual bootin (with partitioning and everything) is a completely different story. Just installing LM would mess up the MBR (it would install grub to the mbr). Everything would work fine, but I've heard of problems with updates. I've also heard of problems with mint4win/wubi that have to do with updating windows (even to a new service pack). You have to do some work to get an install back after that. But mint4win is safe to use as far as I know (and from experience).

Return to “Installation & Boot”