Will a 10 GB partition handle Linux Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Will a 10 GB partition handle Linux Mint?

Postby Reclaimer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:36 pm

Looking to install linux mint on a 10 GB Laptop partition, will this be enough for the installation and then some?

Thanks. :mrgreen:
Reclaimer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will a 10 GB partition handle Linux Mint?

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:17 pm

Reclaimer,

The short answer to your question is yes, some but not a lot. :-)

You will just be limited with the amount of data you can have in your /home directory. If you plan on collecting the top ten full length movies in there, forget it. :-)

A fist full of documents, a few songs, and a few pictures, you are good to go!

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Reclaimer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:23 pm

yeah, its not going to be my primary OS but what would be a much better size, 15, 20GB maybe?

Thanks.
Reclaimer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Reclaimer,

That is really hard for me to say. You will have a swap partition that should be about twice the amount of your physical ram, with the total of the physical ram and swap not to exceed 4 Gig. As an example, if you had 2 Gig of ram you would have a 2 Gig. swap partition. 1 Gig. of ram would still be a 2 Gig swap partition.

The rest of the install will probably be about 5 Gig. total, if you put it all in one partition.

That brings you up to 7 Gig. leaving 3 Gig. of storage space. Your guess about your data storage needs and add on programs has got to better than mine. :-)

Hope that helps a little,

Enjoy,

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Reclaimer on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks Fred, that helped alot.

Right now on my Ubuntu partition on my main Desktop i have allocated an entire 120GB HDD just on its own, but im only using 10.3GB on it, so my best bet is to expand this drive to something closer to 20GB.

Again, thanks.
Reclaimer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:38 pm

Reclaimer,

Hang on. Do you already have Ubuntu on your machine? If so, do you have a swap partition? If you already have a swap partition you don't need to make another. Both distros can use the same swap partition.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:48 pm

Right now on my Ubuntu partition on my main Desktop i have allocated an entire 120GB HDD just on its own, but im only using 10.3GB on it, so my best bet is to expand this drive to something closer to 20GB

No fred he's taking about two different boxes here, But my question is on your desktop is that 10.3gb your whole consumption? Your root file system and your personal home data too? If so and you say the laptop isn't going to be you primary system, then 10gb would be just fine. But by expand, what exactly do you mean? Repartition? or Replace?
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Fred on Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:55 pm

muskratmx,

Oh, ok, I was about to be confused.... again. :-)

I think he was saying he was only using 10.3 Gig on his other install. So he obviously doesn't have a lot in it, for a main OS.

I didn't say how much space I was using... I don't think. But that varies from day to day depending on what I have where at that time.

It is just not possible for me to know how much space he will need in /home. I have tried reading tea leaves, esp, and sooth sayers. And all I get is a headache. :-)

Thanks for correcting me before I got totally confused. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby muskratmx on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:50 am

Your right it's hard to say what one needs for home. I was getting by with 20gb home, but I am pursuing this vbox usage and find my 20gb is going to be some what small. So one's needs change and then we have to backup and redo something.
muskratmx
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Guest on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:51 am

Why do you want Ubuntu and Mint Don't make sense. I could understand Mint & BSD or something not Debian. What you are doing is like having a Dual boot 32bit XP and 32bit Vista Why. I recommend you install the live CD click install guided use entire disk.or why not use 30gigs stil leaves 90 for Ubuntu. Better yet get a second HDD and put all your data on that then you can access it from Ubuntu and Mint

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot