[LMDE] xchat (>=libperl5.10.1) - Can't reinstall {SOLVED}

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

[LMDE] xchat (>=libperl5.10.1) - Can't reinstall {SOLVED}

Post by TwinShadows »

I recently upgraded a few packages and one of them happened to be perl needing an upgrade. Well, apparently xchat didn't like that so well and now refuses to reinstall, so I need a bit of help trying to get it back. I was told by someone that there was a hard link in the deb file to libperl5.10 or something, and I don't have source repos to download and modify the deb or whatever. Surprisingly, its still running, until I restart the laptop for some reason. Shouldn't have a need to, but who knows..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: [LMDE] xchat libperl5.10 (>=libperl5.10.1) - Can't reins

Post by zerozero »

afaik, xchat is broken by perl5.12, so now it's up to the maintainers to rebuild it against the new perl;
not much you can do, i'm afraid, apart from reporting the bug at https://launchpad.net/linuxmint
gazza

Post by gazza »

Sloppy work around for those that are desperate, install Mint 10 or some such in virtual box. For w/e reason my guest addition won't let me mount shared folders in Mint 10 (will in xp and win7), so to use my .xchat defaults, I tar.gz the folder, used brasero to make an iso, mounted it in vbox , copied to ~/Documents, extracted, then replaced the vbox .xchat with the extracted version. I have a heap of settings and this was easier than spending an hour setting it up right. So until upstream fixes the xchat issue, I'll be running it in vbox ... .
chattr

Post by chattr »

I believe that the problem with lmde's xchat is that the xchat package lmde uses is not from debian, but from ubuntu, and when lmde upgrades libperl5.10 to libperl5.12, the ubuntu xchat will not run (will not run despite ubuntu xchat requiring libperl >=5.10, so 5.12 should satisfy the dependency).

A simple work around would be to download the xchat and xchat-common packages from packages.debian.org and manually install the two packages.

xchat is at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xchat and xchat-common is at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xchat-common. Select the cpu architecture for your machine at the bottom of those pages, download and then open a terminal, cd (change directory) to where you downloaded the two .deb files and do

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i xchat*deb
That should install the two packages and you should have a working xchat with all of your pre-existing customizations retained.

If anything here in this thread is not clear, or you want to discuss this more before taking any steps suggested here, install another irc client and go to the irc.spotchat.org server and /join #linuxmint-debian for live one-on-one discussion.
gazza

Post by gazza »

Thank you chattr , worked for me :D :D
ww184

Post by ww184 »

chattr, thanks. worked for me 'cept I used gdebi to install them. Also, I had never closed the xchat
chattr wrote:I believe that the problem with lmde's xchat is that the xchat package lmde uses is not from debian, but from ubuntu, and when lmde upgrades libperl5.10 to libperl5.12, the ubuntu xchat will not run (will not run despite ubuntu xchat requiring libperl >=5.10, so 5.12 should satisfy the dependency).

A simple work around would be to download the xchat and xchat-common packages from packages.debian.org and manually install the two packages.

xchat is at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xchat and xchat-common is at http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/xchat-common. Select the cpu architecture for your machine at the bottom of those pages, download and then open a terminal, cd (change directory) to where you downloaded the two .deb files and do

sudo dpkg -i xchat*deb
That should install the two packages and you should have a working xchat with all of your pre-existing customizations retained.

If anything here in this thread is not clear, or you want to discuss this more before taking any steps suggested here, install another irc client and go to the irc.spotchat.org server and /join #linuxmint-debian for live one-on-one discussion.
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TwinShadows »

chattr wrote:I believe that the problem with lmde's xchat is that the xchat package lmde uses is not from debian, but from ubuntu, and when lmde upgrades libperl5.10 to libperl5.12, the ubuntu xchat will not run (will not run despite ubuntu xchat requiring libperl >=5.10, so 5.12 should satisfy the dependency).

sudo dpkg -i xchat*deb

I'll definitely give this one a try. I never closed X-Chat, so its still running, somehow. Anyhow, xchat-common was not uninstalled, strange as it may sound. Only the main xchat package got uninstalled for me.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

I can confirm that this worked just peachy for me, thanks chattr. :D
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
chattr

Re: [LMDE] xchat (>=libperl5.10.1) - Can't reinstall {SOLVED

Post by chattr »

Just so I don't get credit for the solution, while I was the person who posted the solution, I was not the one who came up with it. On Sat May 14, justin and I were helping a mint user in #linuxmint-debian irc, and justin proposed this solution. My suggestion would have been unnecessarily more complicated. Justin deserves credit for this, not me.
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

sudo dpkg -i xchat*deb

If you're a bit shy of the terminal, you can download the appropriate .deb files, and use gdebi to first install the commons and then the chat. Works perfectly.

BTW - thanks to all those who helped out. I got my chat back!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

very interesting workaround 8) and glad it works, but:

1- why, having two versions in synaptic's cache (and nobody needs to download the debs from anywhere, they are there in the system), the one that works (and is compatible with the new perl is not installable?
2- why synaptic, and for that matter apt aswell, insists on installing the lower version, hiding the higher (and working)? yes, because 2.8.8-1 is lower than 2.8.8-3!
3- Perl5.10 is completely different from Perl5.12; that's why one fails to install and the installs fine;
amadeu@amadeu ~ $ apt-cache show xchat
Package: xchat
Version: 2.8.8-1linuxmint1
Architecture: amd64
Maintainer: Davide Puricelli (evo) <evo@debian.org>
Installed-Size: 928
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.29.3), libc6 (>= 2.7), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.78), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.8.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.23.5), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.18.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libperl5.10 (>= 5.10.1), libsexy2 (>= 0.1.8 ), libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8m-1), libx11-6 (>= 0), libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), xchat-common (= 2.8.8-1linuxmint1)
Recommends: libpython2.6 (>= 2.6), tcl8.4 (>= 8.4.16), esound-clients | alsa-utils, libnotify1 | libnotify-bin, xdg-utils
Conflicts: xchat-gnome (<< 1:0.11-1)
Replaces: xchat-common (<< 1.6.0-1), xchat-gnome (<< 1:0.11-1)
Provides: irc
Homepage: http://www.xchat.org/
Priority: optional
Section: net
Filename: pool/upstream/x/xchat/xchat_2.8.8-1linuxmint1_amd64.deb
Size: 361076
SHA1: fe38eaafdc033991bf2d1a3b6ba3f908cc5e6d07
MD5sum: 349d1107d8bc68f92be24f56d4ee142e
Description: IRC client for X similar to AmIRC
XChat is a graphical IRC Client with a GTK+ GUI. It has a look and feel
similar to AmIRC for the Amiga. Special features include the mIRC extension
DCC RESUME and mIRC color, multiple server/channel windows, dialog
windows, and a plugin API.

Package: xchat
Source: xchat (2.8.8-3)
Version: 2.8.8-3+b1
Installed-Size: 864
Maintainer: Davide Puricelli (evo) <evo@debian.org>
Architecture: amd64
Replaces: xchat-common (<< 1.6.0-1), xchat-gnome (<< 1:0.11-1)
Provides: irc
Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.4), libc6 (>= 2.7), libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.88), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.8.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.24.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libperl5.12 (>= 5.12.3), libsexy2 (>= 0.1.8 ), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0), libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), xchat-common (= 2.8.8-3)
Recommends: libpython2.6 (>= 2.6), tcl8.5 (>= 8.5.0), esound-clients | alsa-utils, libnotify1 | libnotify-bin, xdg-utils
Conflicts: xchat-gnome (<< 1:0.11-1)
Description: IRC client for X similar to AmIRC
XChat is a graphical IRC Client with a GTK+ GUI. It has a look and feel
similar to AmIRC for the Amiga. Special features include the mIRC extension
DCC RESUME and mIRC color, multiple server/channel windows, dialog
windows, and a plugin API.
Homepage: http://www.xchat.org/
Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::x11, network::client, protocol::{dcc,irc,ssl}, role::program, role::shared-lib, uitoolkit::gtk, use::chatting, x11::application
Section: net
Priority: optional
Filename: pool/main/x/xchat/xchat_2.8.8-3+b1_amd64.deb
Size: 364298
MD5sum: 05bfa40cffc48451d1663e09bdd61b5e
SHA1: 5ceb2392a7b94492066658fbee9c886fd2be3bda
SHA256: ba9d617eade4bf1e7156e91410e573f6fd47b1ef673bc43c689805d368983116

amadeu@amadeu ~ $
tjweaver

Post by tjweaver »

I live on xchat (couldn't make it through the day at work without it) so i appreciate the heads up here and have chosen not to take the perl updates for the time being. Should I continue to wait for a fix to come down the pipe and hold off on updates for the time being or should I just bight the bullet, take the updates, and then do the manual reinstall of xchat? If I do the later will things just eventually fix themselves as new and improved updates are available or will there be some extra actions required on my part?
dfx

Post by dfx »

It's also possible to use the one in Debian repos (2.8.8-3). You have to uninstall xchat-common (2.8.8-1linuxmint1) from mint repos and install the version from Debian (2.8.8-3). I used aptitude in interactive mode. I had to manually deselct xchat (2.8.8-1linuxmint1) and add debian version, after I had selected xchat-common for installation (2.8.8-3). Afterwards install went fine.

Mint version is "better" because of apt-pinning in /etc/apt/preferences
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, my questions weren't exactly questions and the workaround in a way is pointless!

why download from a web page two debs that we have in our sources.list? This is the question apparently nobody wants to answer:

Because Mint's apt-pinning policy prefers older pks over newer (as long as they are from the Mint repo) and worst, broken pks oven working ones! This simple.
gorfou

Post by gorfou »

dfx wrote: Mint version is "better" because of apt-pinning in /etc/apt/preferences
Thanks, setting priority of debian in /etc/apt/preferences at a higher level (1500) led me to solve th problem!
zerozero wrote: Because Mint's apt-pinning policy prefers older pks over newer (as long as they are from the Mint repo) and worst, broken pks oven working ones! This simple.
Maybe we should ask aptitude guys to have an option to install a package from a specific repository. That would fix the problem :)
chattr

Post by chattr »

zerozero wrote:very interesting workaround 8) and glad it works, but:

1- why, having two versions in synaptic's cache (and nobody needs to download the debs from anywhere, they are there in the system), the one that works (and is compatible with the new perl is not installable?
Do you mean that the 2.8.8-3+b1 xchat package from the debian repo is in /var/cache/apt/archives/ ? I'm not sure what you mean by ''they are there in the system'.
zerozero wrote:2- why synaptic, and for that matter apt aswell, insists on installing the lower version, hiding the higher (and working)? yes, because 2.8.8-1 is lower than 2.8.8-3!
Does lmde give a higher pin priority to the linuxmint repos as compared with the debian repos? Or, does lmde pin packages to prefer packages available in the linuxmint repos, even if higher numbered versions are in the debian repo?

From what happened to a good number of irc users, it appears that xchat was removed when libperl5.12 was installed. xchat was not upgraded to the debian version. Instead, the linuxmint repo version of xchat was removed, and of course at that point, people could not connect to irc in the way they had become accustomed to.

My understanding is that a higher priority would upgrade xchat and xchat-common only when the linuxmint repo received a newer version than what is currently installed.
zerozero wrote:3- Perl5.10 is completely different from Perl5.12; that's why one fails to install and the installs fine;
Yes, that's true, and the linuxmint repo version sets the dependency as >=libper5.10.1. Using the debian repo removes libperl5.10.1 and upgrades to libperl5.12, and consequently the linuxmint xchat packages are removed.

My suspicion is that the xchat packages in lmde are from ubuntu, and this mixing of ubuntu .deb's with debian .deb's is the source of the lmde users' problems.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

so to put things clear, yes the problem is the pin priority in LMDE
Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: 500
it caused this breakage and the F-Spot one http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p423021

and i'm sorry for not being completely clear when i said "they are in the system"; what i wanted to say was -"is a pkg from debian testing repo, so there's no need to go anywhere and download it, it is in LMDE default repo";
TwinShadows
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TwinShadows »

Wow, that's what I get for not coming back for a while...

But anyway, using the Debian files worked for me. Though, I guess with the apparent mixing of Ubuntu, Debian, and Mint debs can cause some mix-ups.. I would think that LMDE would strip the Ubuntu base of the standard editions and use Debian completely as a base without the need for anything from Ubuntu. Maybe that is the case, but I'm just not sure.
SeaJulien

Post by SeaJulien »

Hi,

I had the same problem, and a friend said me when I said the source :
He told me you just have to adjust pinning.

So I just add a special rule in the file /etc/apt/preferences, and now it's this :

Pin: release o=linuxmint

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin-Priority: 500

Package: xchat*
Pin-Priority: 990
So, all the packages whit a name begining by xchat will be installed from debian repositories. It worked fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”