Error occuring with MintBackup in Daryna 4.0 (Romeo)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Error occuring with MintBackup in Daryna 4.0 (Romeo)

Post by Insane1 »

Whenever I've tried using the MintBackup tool I installed through Romeo, I eventually get this error after trying to run the backup tool:
An error occurred during the backup: gzip -t mintbackup_home.tar.gz --> 256
I heard somewhere it might be from a file space issue, but given my hard drive has over 90gb remaining, it shouldn't occur.
It happened when I backed up both 4gb. And when I tested it excluding all but 4mb or so of the files.

Near the end of the terminal entry there's a prompt asking to overwrite the backed up tar.
Then at the end of the terminal entry is this error:
gzip: mintbackup_home.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Error occuring with MintBackup in Daryna 4.0 (Romeo)

Post by Husse »

The backup fails it's "self test"
Perhaps you have to many files (not to large size) try with fewer files
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

Alright, I'll try exluding all but 5 files and see if it works.

EDIT:
Well it seems like number of files really was causing the error...which I ask if there's any way to fix it, given that the point of a backup tool seems to be eliminated if it can only backup a certain number of your files before throwing an error. >.>
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't know squat about mintBackup and have to ask Clem for advice
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's basically relying on the tar command and checking if the tar archive worked or not, so for whatever reason tar doesn't succeed, mintBackup will report an error.

Clem.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

clem wrote:It's basically relying on the tar command and checking if the tar archive worked or not, so for whatever reason tar doesn't succeed, mintBackup will report an error.

Clem.
Is it possible that the number of files is causing the tar to not compress right? >.>
As I said the backup utility worked with a small number of files, but it seems like a large number failed to work.

Is there a way to troubleshoot this in some way? I really wanted to use the backup utility, given that something horrible seems to happen to my computers once every two months.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

You can increase the number of files slowly but surely to see how far you can get with backing up data... It's hard to say whether it's to do with the number of files (I don't think so anyway), the space left on the device, a particular file or inode on the disk which is corrupt, the fact that the filesystem changes while being backed up (make sure not to run anything else)... etc.

Clem
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

clem wrote:You can increase the number of files slowly but surely to see how far you can get with backing up data... It's hard to say whether it's to do with the number of files (I don't think so anyway), the space left on the device, a particular file or inode on the disk which is corrupt, the fact that the filesystem changes while being backed up (make sure not to run anything else)... etc.

Clem
Alright. By the way thank you so much for the help you've offered. I'll see how many files I can go to. Space on the device shouldn't be an issue, I don't believe, as I have 90 or so gigabytes of space left.

Return to “Software & Applications”