[SOLVED] How to set default programs/applications?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DC80

[SOLVED] How to set default programs/applications?

Post by DC80 »

Hi all,

I was wondering if it were possible to set default programs. For example mozilla firefox is installed by default, however, if you install google's chrome you can set it by default. I'm happy with my choice on the browser things but like I said, I was wondering if other programs can be set as default.

For example, i like foxit pdf reader. Now, the default is Evince (aka document viewer) but how do i set foxit reader to default pdf reader?

Kind regards,

DC80
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DC80

Re: [mint 12] How to set default programs/applications?

Post by DC80 »

Hi all,

I do not know what i have done to get what i wanted but when i open an pdf file foxit opens it. I did the following actions:

- install foxit pdf reader by downloading the .deb file and execute it. Now you have two readers on your system (evince and foxit).

- after installing foxit i did go to a terminal and executed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove evince
And for last, open an pdf file and foxit comes up. I will set this topic to solved.

Kind regards,

DC80
cluelesscoder

Re: [SOLVED] How to set default programs/applications?

Post by cluelesscoder »

The correct answer to setting a default is not this. See http://www.libre-software.net/change-th ... untu-linux titled "How to change the default application for a given type of file in Ubuntu Linux" for example. Basically, right-click and there will be a "Properties" menu. There's a button called "Set as default" under the "Open With" menu there. Unfortunately, the programs I've installed that I'm not looking for (PDFshuffler or PDFsam) aren't showing up, so I'll have to figure out another way. For those who are looking into getting more programs to show up on the list of applications, you might want to consult the thread over at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=103669 ("Can't set Adobe Reader as default application") which suggestions changing the file in usr/share/applications somehow.

EDIT: I figured this out. LInux Mint Cinammon (or perhaps Nautilus is to blame) HIDES FILE EXTESIONS like .desktop. So if you go to /usr/share/applications and see a bunch of filenames without a .desktop on them, and you try to open one with gedit, it won't open. You hve to append the .desktop to it. Once you do that, you follow the directions in the above noted thread: 'Find the line that says "Exec=acroread" and change it to "Exec=acroread %f"'. Change the acroread to match the program you're fixing. Quite frustrating that Cinammon/Nautilus does this.

As in many cases (in my limited experience 6 month or so experience), KDE is superior. If you go to System Settings, you'll find under the "Common Appearance and Behavior" menu a "File Associations" section which will handle this (haven't tested it yet). Confusingly, there's also a "Default Applications" section under the "Workspace Appearance.." menu, but that doesn't seem to hit what you and I want.

Return to “Software & Applications”