Can't edit mint menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
skottyrg

Can't edit mint menu

Post by skottyrg »

Hi,
I'm using mint 12 with the mate desktop and I find I've got two problems with mint menu:
The first is that when I right click on the menu and then click on edit menu in the droplist nothing happens, so i can't add applications nor reorganize then nor do any other adjustments I'd like to do.
the second problem is that when I press ctrl+left super nothing happens either.
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Can't edit mint menu

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
skottyrg

Post by skottyrg »

Thanks for answering remoulder, but there doesn't seem to be anything in the tips and tricks that solves my problems.
It also specifies in the tips and tricks that they're for MGSE, the default login session, and I'm using MATE.
I seem to have come across another problem also:
The new applications I install don't appear in the menu.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

skottyrg wrote:Hi,
I'm using mint 12 with the mate desktop and I find I've got two problems with mint menu:
The first is that when I right click on the menu and then click on edit menu in the droplist nothing happens, so i can't add applications nor reorganize then nor do any other adjustments I'd like to do.
IIRC the menu editor is called mozo (it's a fork of alacarte). Unfortunately, there are two problems for Mint 12 users. First, this editor isn't available in MATE 1.0, only in 1.2. Second, it seems that no one bothered to backport MATE 1.2 to Mint 12.

The solution is to use the MATE repository for Ubuntu. Read here for more info: http://mate-desktop.org/install/#linuxmint
skottyrg wrote:the second problem is that when I press ctrl+left super nothing happens either.
Again, this problem isn't solved in Mint 12. There's no deskbar-applet package anymore (the global menu hotkey feature was provided by it), and the new mintmenu-keybinder package hasn't been backported to Mint 12.

I've made a workaround for this problem: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 28#p574995
But keep in mind that this is a hack, and these changes will be overwritten on the next mintmenu update (if there will be one, of course).
skottyrg

Post by skottyrg »

Hi
the solution doesn't seem to work for me. I add the repo with the same command as in ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
Then i edit the etc/apt/preferences file, adding at the end:
Package: *
Pin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org
Pin-Priority: 700
and then, when I save the file I get the following output in the terminal:

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.SWUOEW': No such file or directory

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.X7UTEW': No such file or directory

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory
and I still can't edit the menu
Any ideas?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

skottyrg wrote:Hi
the solution doesn't seem to work for me. I add the repo with the same command as in ubuntu:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
Then i edit the etc/apt/preferences file, adding at the end:
Package: *
Pin: origin packages.mate-desktop.org
Pin-Priority: 700
and then, when I save the file I get the following output in the terminal:

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.SWUOEW': No such file or directory

(gedit:2603): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.X7UTEW': No such file or directory

and I still can't edit the menu
Any ideas?
I'm pretty sure those errors are ok. If you follow the instructions on the MATE website and then reboot it should work.

Return to “Software & Applications”