Cinnamon crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Cinnamon crashes

Postby chipalagusma on Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 am

Hi there! Since Mint 10, I love Linux Mint and I always gave a shot at it with every new release! Unfortunately, since 12 I've beginning to have some graphics crashes... I soon gave up, and had to turn to some other distro, and it is kind of a shame, because I really love Mint and I was loving it's desktop back then. Now that 13 is out, I decided to give it a shot again! And soon after I installed it on my pc. But then again, some crashes begun to rise: sometimes everything becomes untouchable and some other things, but the worse part is when I restart cinnamon and it becomes... well, it becomes 'non-cinnamon'! It seems like gnome 1! It loses its hotcorner and I can't even right-click the panel... I've searched everywhere, I just can't find an answer... I have a strong graphics PC with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 with 512 MB, but can it be the graphics drivers? Anyway I will leave a screenshot of the aspect of the panel.

http://ge.tt/9lRXa4I/v/0?c (sorry, it was the only way I managed to get the image 'here')

Thank you in advance!
chipalagusma
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon crashes

Postby kc1di on Wed May 23, 2012 7:37 am

Hi chipalagusma,
Sorry your having trouble with Mint.

Just wondering what video card your machine is using , because with some cards there have been problems.
if you could let me know we might be able to give some help.
Thanks,
Dave
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chipalagusma on Wed May 23, 2012 7:47 am

Hi Dave,
my video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. I also have the Intel HD, but I think the one in usage when this all happened was the ATI.
chipalagusma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kc1di on Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 am

I'm no expert but several have mentioned problems with that particular card.
try the intel and see if you experience the same problems.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early
Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
kc1di
Level 6
Level 6

Postby chipalagusma on Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 am

I will! Thank you very much
chipalagusma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BrianD on Wed May 23, 2012 9:32 am

also, keep in mind that there is an outstanding issue with the gnome 3.x notification feature, and repeated usage from some clients (notably, banshee, rhythmbox, and any other music player that integrates with the shell via the notification feature) will cause the shell to crash. I know this issue exists in Linux Mint 12 (Lisa); I do not know if it has been corrected (yet) in whichever version of Gnome 3.x that is used in Linux Mint 13 (Maya).

if this is, indeed, the issue you are experiencing, the two popular workarounds, until the problem is properly resolved, is to cease using music players that utilize the shell notification feature, or (if available within the configuration) to disable shell notification within the music player itself. If you wish to try the former, Audacious (available in the repositories) does not use shell notification; if you wish to try the latter, banshee (not sure about rhythmbox) has a configuration option to disable shell notification.
need I say more??
BrianD
Level 4
Level 4

Postby chipalagusma on Wed May 23, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for the info. I didn't try any music player by now... But I think I made some progress by trying to reinstall cinnamon. I did it, and when tried to run it again (because I didn't found any cinnamon process running) with the terminal it gave this error:

(cinnamon:3628): Gdk-WARNING **: The program 'cinnamon' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)'.
(Details: serial 125 error_code 1 request_code 154 minor_code 19)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the GDK_SYNCHRONIZE environment
variable to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
chipalagusma
Level 1
Level 1

Postby remoulder on Wed May 23, 2012 11:08 am

Please report problems with the RC at http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2010
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications