Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CreamCorn

Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon

Post by CreamCorn »

Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon comes with a screen capture utility called 'Screenshot' by default. When I try to use that utility or if I try to press the 'print screen' button on my keyboard to capture everything on screen, it almost always ends up capturing all black.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HartKnight

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Post by HartKnight »

I'm having a similar problem with gnome-screenshot also on Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon).

When pressing "Print Screen" or "Alt+Print Screen" the screen quickly flashes, but the dialog box to save doesn't appear. When starting and using the program from the mintMenu, taking a screenshot from here works as expected, but the image saved isn't what's currently on screen at the time. It's either what's behind what I wanted to capture or it was of what was on screen awhile ago and has been closed. Any ideas? Thanks.
minties

Post by minties »

Are both of the above posters running Mint as a Virtual Machine? I had similar problems running Cinnamon in VirtualBox, but the screenshot problems disappeared when installing to the hdd.
HartKnight

Post by HartKnight »

minties wrote:Are both of the above posters running Mint as a Virtual Machine? I had similar problems running Cinnamon in VirtualBox, but the screenshot problems disappeared when installing to the hdd.
I'd have no problem mentioning it was on a VM if it were. LM13 is on a solid state drive if that difference matters, but I doubt it would.
HartKnight

Post by HartKnight »

I installed and tried out Shutter for screenshots and the same problems come up. I'm guessing it has something to do with my display drivers.

INFO
Processor: 4x AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
Memory: 7651MB
Operating System: Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon; 64-bit)
-Display-
OpenGL Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6530D
ATI/AMD FGLRX graphics driver (enabled)
SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

HartKnight wrote:I'm having a similar problem with gnome-screenshot also on Linux Mint 13 (Cinnamon).

When pressing "Print Screen" or "Alt+Print Screen" the screen quickly flashes, but the dialog box to save doesn't appear. When starting and using the program from the mintMenu, taking a screenshot from here works as expected, but the image saved isn't what's currently on screen at the time. It's either what's behind what I wanted to capture or it was of what was on screen awhile ago and has been closed. Any ideas? Thanks.

I am facing the same problem, shutter also doesn't work. It captures what was in the screen a while ago, when I first installed Mint13-cinnamon, this problem wasn't there. It is happening since past two days, so I am guessing some changes I made may have affected some settings. If I only knew what was that :|

Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Sayan Acharjee
Bangalore, India
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

I have created an alias --> alias screenshot='gnome-screenshot --interactive'

You can also just open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

gnome-screenshot --interactive
Hope this helps for now.
SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

twodogs wrote:I have created an alias --> alias screenshot='gnome-screenshot --interactive'

You can also just open a terminal and enter

Hope this helps for now.
Doesn't help man, still not getting the current screenshot. It's showing how the screen was a while ago, not current :(
CreamCorn

Post by CreamCorn »

Is everyone having this problem running the following?

Desktop: Cinnamon
GPU: AMD Radeon
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 12.4

I *suspect* this problem could be unique to Cinnamon users with AMD Radeon graphics using the official AMD Catalyst drivers.
SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

CreamCorn wrote:Is everyone having this problem running the following?

Desktop: Cinnamon
GPU: AMD Radeon
Drivers: AMD Catalyst 12.4

I *suspect* this problem could be unique to Cinnamon users with AMD Radeon graphics using the official AMD Catalyst drivers.
This is the ouput of "inxi -G" , It's something about setting i guess as it was working fine when I first installed, what happened suddenly I don't know :|

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: vesa,fbdev,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz
GLX Renderer: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series GLX Version: 4.2.11627 - CPC
cosarara97

Post by cosarara97 »

When I press the print screen button there is a flash but the window doesn't appear.
I ran gnome-screenshot in a terminal and the same happened, giving me the following error:
** (gnome-screenshot:29378): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files
I have an intel integrated graphics card (which doesn't let me play the games I bought in humblebundle :( ), so it's a problem with cinnamon, not the Catalyst drivers...
SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

cosarara97 wrote:When I press the print screen button there is a flash but the window doesn't appear.
I ran gnome-screenshot in a terminal and the same happened, giving me the following error:
** (gnome-screenshot:29378): WARNING **: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11. Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.Shell was not provided by any .service files
I have an intel integrated graphics card (which doesn't let me play the games I bought in humblebundle :( ), so it's a problem with cinnamon, not the Catalyst drivers...
Well, from the terminal i am getting the same error but when I press printscreen, a flash comes and the pictures gets saved automatically in the Pictures folder. My problem is, the screeshot is never current :|
compazter

Post by compazter »

I think the screenshot picture is automatic store in picture folder without notification, just check it out.

Sorry for my bad english
HartKnight

Post by HartKnight »

I tried Gnome Screenshot in a regular Gnome session and it was actually working good there. I've only had problems when logged in under Cinnamon.

The time difference from what I get in the screenshot and when I actually took it is an hour and 23 minutes.

SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

HartKnight wrote:I tried Gnome Screenshot in a regular Gnome session and it was actually working good there. I've only had problems when logged in under Cinnamon.

The time difference from what I get in the screenshot and when I actually took it is an hour and 23 minutes.

For me, the time difference is 3 minutes. :|
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

same problem here

works, but boring solution since hitting the printbutton should do the thing....

and the printbuttn does not work, i mean screen flashes but the screenshot is not saved.

i guess some professional help would do!

?? pleahse!

best

lutter
dlalonde

Post by dlalonde »

I have the exact same problem! It's like the card keeps the image in memory.

It happens on other occasions as well. Read my thread and check if you have the same symptoms. Maybe if we're more than one we'll be able to figure this all out!

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=103439
lutterworth

Post by lutterworth »

i "solved"it in a way....

go to keyboard shortcuts and put

on the print button that normally delivers the screenshot.

hitting the button you are confronted with the options and then you do the shot

not so bad?

greez

lutter
HartKnight

Post by HartKnight »

gnome-screenshot --interactive (aka going to Accessories → Screenshot) doesn't change anything for the better. Neither does hitting "Print Screen." My problem isn't that it doesn't take screenshots. It does that. It just doesn't take a current one.

Just took another one quickly and the time difference was 6 hours.
SayanRedDevil

Post by SayanRedDevil »

HartKnight wrote:gnome-screenshot --interactive (aka going to Accessories → Screenshot) doesn't change anything for the better. Neither does hitting "Print Screen." My problem isn't that it doesn't take screenshots. It does that. It just doesn't take a current one.

Just took another one quickly and the time difference was 6 hours.
Exactly, it DOES take the screenshot with gnome-screenshot utility and print screen but it is never the current one.....

Return to “Software & Applications”