Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jpkmaster

Re: Screenshot app malfunctioning, Linux Mint 13 with Cinnam

Post by jpkmaster »

Any update on this issue? It seems to be an issue related with cinnamon and fglrx. I read somewhere that radeon drivers are not afectted with this problem.
JESSEJJ89

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

Does this problem still persists ? And are the Radeon drivers affected ?
JESSEJJ89

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

BUMP (don't know if this is allowed)
Dodongo

Post by Dodongo »

JESSEJJ89 wrote:Does this problem still persists ? And are the Radeon drivers affected ?
It's still a problem for me with an AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series. Screenshots show the screen as it was several minutes ago.

I'm using Linux Mint 13 Maya. In "Additional Drivers" I have selected "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)".

I use the workaround posted by Devil999 a few posts back: press Alt-F2 and type 'r' (just the letter). Then take the screenshot. It's not a fix, but it has always worked for me.
JESSEJJ89

Post by JESSEJJ89 »

Dodongo wrote:
JESSEJJ89 wrote:Does this problem still persists ? And are the Radeon drivers affected ?
It's still a problem for me with an AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series. Screenshots show the screen as it was several minutes ago.

I'm using Linux Mint 13 Maya. In "Additional Drivers" I have selected "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (post-release updates)".

I use the workaround posted by Devil999 a few posts back: press Alt-F2 and type 'r' (just the letter). Then take the screenshot. It's not a fix, but it has always worked for me.

My problem is that it also affects Skype.. I use it's "share your screen" feature, but it just shows my background on the other users end. I'll just install Ubuntu 12.10, and hopefully it doesn't give me the same problems.
Slabity

Post by Slabity »

I just wanted to see if I could share some information that I've found in this issue, and possibly get a response?

I've been trying to use VLC to stream my desktop to a file, but whenever I start it, it only gives a single image. I believe these two issues are connected, though, as when I tried to take a screenshot to troubleshoot it, my screenshot only took a picture of what VLC was showing:

http://i.imgur.com/UT8wyeK.jpg

If it helps at all, this is the result from 'inxi -Gx' command:

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts XT [Radeon HD 6800 Series] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 driver: fglrx Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series GLX Version: 4.2.12002 - CPC 9.012 Direct Rendering: Yes
Does anyone know what the issue is?
monkebusiness

Post by monkebusiness »

Hi,

I did some testing and I experience the black screenshot problem only when using my integrated graphics card. Also when picking colors etc from the screen it only returns black. When using the discrete grapics card taking screenshots and other stuff works fine. (I have an ATI 6720G2)

Maybe the screenshot programs always uses the discrete card even if it's turned off.
jaskmar

Post by jaskmar »

Has anyone solved this problem yet?
rectec

Post by rectec »

Unfortunately, no. I still have this problem with 1.8.6 (Ubuntu 13.04 with fglrx-updates drivers.). But I'd like to congratulate this thread on its one year anniversary! Still going strong!
jaskmar

Post by jaskmar »

Do Cinnamon developers even know about this issue? What do they say? I am asking as I don't know bug-repairing procedures, I only know there exist something like that.
jaskmar

Post by jaskmar »

OK, I've got the solution. I have just upgraded my Linux Mint from 14 "Nadia" to 15 "Olivia" and everything is fine now. I also use to have diferent bugs conected with Graphics, but after upgrading everything works excellent. Guys did their jobs :D

I strongly recommend to upgrade to Olivia for those, who have ATI/AMD Graphics Card.
Greathings!
rectec

Post by rectec »

The problem seems to have been fixed with the latest version of Cinnamon. After months of deliberation, I've finally decided to take the plunge back into Arch Linux. Arch (as of writing) has Cinnamon 1.8.8 in its repos. I installed Arch along with Cinnamon yesterday, and I'm happy to say that I no longer have this issue regarding FGLRX and Cinnamon. I'm currently using Cinnamon 1.8.8 with SLiM as the display manager, and I'm pretty satisfied.

To those who have this problem: upgrade to the latest version of Cinnamon, if you have Linux Mint 14, try upgrading to Linux Mint 15, like jaskmar said. Regarding LMDE, 1.8 should be either in the romeo repository or the official repositories. Not sure which. It was in romeo last time I checked but it's possible that it has made it to the main repos now.

Anyway, thanks to the devs for fixing this problem!
indyend

Post by indyend »

I'm use AMD E-450 with full install , and this problem is still show.
I saw some reply say image we're capture is in /home/images....
Maybe they got the wrong idea with this thread. We know where's
the capture's place. But the images we got is all black. :|
faramirza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by faramirza »

When I take a screenshot it seems to do so of whatever is below the view I see. So sometimes I take a screenshot of my Desktop Wallpaper. This happens on LMDE and uBuntu running Cinnamon 1.8 and 2.0. I'm an AMD GPU user. That seems to be the common thread here but the issue goes away if I swop back to Unity.
haymakers9th

Post by haymakers9th »

So, from what I gather Cinnamon had problems with fglrx because fglrx is hard to work due to it being closed source AMD stuff. Then, one day they worked around it in a new version for Cinnamon.

My problem is, I'm on a slightly older card, and I've had to use fglrx-legacy (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=124012)

and I think whatever problem was fixed with fglrx, still remains with the legacy driver. I'm still getting the screenshot bug, the buggy textures when I expo my workspaces, entire screen blipping when something new shows up on the tray bar..

Is there possibly something I can change in Cinnamon to make whatever magic they used work on the legacy driver? Hopefully I'm not SOL for using older hardware...

haymaker@hay-panp7 ~ $ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
Gloomshroud

Post by Gloomshroud »

Hello, I am having the issue with the screenshots from Shutter making only black screenshots. I am running Linux Mint 15 Olivia. My video card is the A10 APU and my drivers are FGLRX. I am attempting to change them to the recommended Xorg drivers to see if that fixes the problem. Will update if this works. Rebooting now.

EDIT: Yep. That fixed it. Shutter now works like a charm.
Kalith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kalith »

To those that are stuck with (or don't want to update) an older Cinnamon version: I got rid of this issue by updating my linux kernel from 3.5 to 3.12, and updating the fglrx driver from 13.4 (lastest stable) to 13.11 (still beta, but pretty stable as far as I can tell). To update, first [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/119080/how-to-update-kernel-to-the-latest-mainline-version-without-any-distro-upgrade]upgrade the kernel[/url], then reboot. Since the 13.4 driver is not compatible with linux 3.12, so you will be stuck in fallback mode. From here, uninstall any previous version of the proprietary driver you had (I have used Debian packages to install it, so "sudo apt-get remove fglrx" did the trick), then [url=http://support.amd.com/fr-fr/download]download[/url] (cannot give a direct link, sorry), unzip and install the beta drivers :

chmod +x amd-catalyst-13.11-beta\ V9.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run
./amd-catalyst-13.11-beta\ v9.4-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
I don't know whether it was the driver or kernel update that fixed the problem. Maybe both. I have an HD7770, and am running Cinnamon 1.8.
sherbert

Post by sherbert »

Work around, if not a SOLVED
I have just used Synaptic Package Manager to install AMD's fglrx-amdcccle-updates 2.12.104-0unbunitu0.0.1.
SPM describes this as Catylst Control Centre Linux Edition, which I guess is what the acronym means.
SPM said it would delete fglrx-amdcccle, the latest version of which appears to be 2.8.960-0unbuntu1.1.
I see there are other fglrx-amdcccle versions with 'experimental' in their names. I did not touch these.

RESULT: success. Screenshots of 'select area' are accurately rendered to desktop.

I now have to find the other topic to which I recall I have cross-posted and offer the same information.
Hope it works for you,
SH

Return to “Software & Applications”