twonkyvision

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

twonkyvision

Post by leo5111 »

anyne know how to optimaly set it up??? i have it set up BUT my storage drive all my media is on a NTFS drive i found out ntfs support is herky jerky for instance i transfer files to and from my ntfs drive sometimes they go right over sometimes they lag guy in hardware said probably cause drive is ntfs he said ntfs in linux stinks, well back to original question when i stream my media to my 360 it randomly stops for anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds or so says "buffering" on my 360 could that be because ntfs access sucks in linux? also default streaming size was like 16,000 i tried bumping up it up all the way to 40,000 says on site move up if it acts up that did nothing also theres a option to set it to search for media if i understand that its just to scan if something new was added well if thats what it means id like to set it so that it scans my folders upon its boot up and it just keeps my video current video collection unless i tell it to re-look for new stuff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: twonkyvision

Post by grimdestripador »

If your server for your xbox is linux only, I really do suggest going to ext3 over NTFS, being that ntfs is not as stable in linux, and ever so often disk-check is tripped off.

If you dual Boot and need access to media through windows, then I suggest to create your xbox media server in a virtual machine, so that File access would be done by windows itself. Virtual Box lets you share folders between environments, VMware-workstation allows fast share but costs mucho. You'll need to install their associated tools, and in the end gets compex.

If you want a convertable server that you boot off a live cd, or dual boot to a small partition, then I suggest you try to make your smb.conf configured using appropaate buffers and packet sizes, and timings, since they are set really conservative. (reasing being microsoft salted their code, and it still hasen't been reversed engineered as well as microsoft can do them self).

Return to “Software & Applications”