Mint 13 Mate console transparency issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
falsechicken

Mint 13 Mate console transparency issue

Post by falsechicken »

When I was using Mint 11 I remember transparent consoles showing the windows open behind it, now all I get in Mint 13 Mate is my wallpaper as if the windows are not even there. Any way to fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: Mint 13 Mate console transparency issue

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You MUST have compositing enabled for that to work properly.
If you don't already have a compositor, I would recommend xcompmgr (sudo apt-get install xcompmgr).
Add it to autostart applications with the command being "xcompmgr" (if you want something simple) OR "xcompmgr -cCfF -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.50 -D2 -m.70 -v0.8" (this is what I use, fancy stuff. Its nice). Although I'm pretty sure Mutter is included with Mint 13, just disabled. Try and enable that first. (I don't use Mint anymore. Debian user here).
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

falsechicken wrote:When I was using Mint 11 I remember transparent consoles showing the windows open behind it, now all I get in Mint 13 Mate is my wallpaper as if the windows are not even there. Any way to fix this?
You should have a Desktop Settings app in Preferences or the Control Panel. Open it up and there's a checkbox to turn on Marco's native compositing. Works great.

EDIT: I think it still says "Use GNOME compositing" or something like that. That's just a leftover from the port over to MATE. It still works as it should.
falsechicken

Post by falsechicken »

squeezy wrote:
falsechicken wrote:When I was using Mint 11 I remember transparent consoles showing the windows open behind it, now all I get in Mint 13 Mate is my wallpaper as if the windows are not even there. Any way to fix this?
You should have a Desktop Settings app in Preferences or the Control Panel. Open it up and there's a checkbox to turn on Marco's native compositing. Works great.

EDIT: I think it still says "Use GNOME compositing" or something like that. That's just a leftover from the port over to MATE. It still works as it should.
Thanks! Works great!
jimwg

Post by jimwg »

squeezy wrote:
I just noticed that there is no "Desktop Settings" listed on our MATE Nadia Preferences menu -- or anywhere. What am I missing to get it back? Some Googled users and sites say that Compiz is meant as MATE's desktop settings manager but is that true? I wish to see what a totally MATE set-up is like sans Compiz. Also the MATE Windows Preferences looks even more simple than XFCE's, not mentioning compositing at all. Is it supposed to be that way?

Jim in NYC

Return to “Software & Applications”