Firefox Issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eanfrid

Re: Firefox Issues

Post by eanfrid »

Maybe something went wrong in your Firefox profile. Run "firefox -P" to open the profile manager and create a new profile for testing purpose. If you don't meet these issues with a fresh new profile, then your current profile probably got wrecked. Firefox bugs are not Linux bugs.
BillG541

Post by BillG541 »

Is there a way to roll back to ff 13. I had no issues with that. ff14 isn't working for me, and I know it's not a linux mint issue.
Iurydice

Post by Iurydice »

Yes, you can install the previous version of Firefox. You can download FF 13 here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... of-firefox, you'll get the tar.bz2 file. Other older versions can be found here: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... /releases/

It should also be possible to do this from your package manager, but I don't know which one you're using. I'm using Synaptic, and when I search for Firefox and select Versions tab, it shows me versions available for installation (among them is the 13 one), like this. Then you would select Force Version from the Package menu, and get a box like this, in which you can choose the version you want to revert to.

However, this method is usually not recommended because it can mess up your system, so you'd probably be better off just unpacking the downloaded FF 13 tar.bz2 like an ordinary zip file into your home directory, for example. Then you can run Firefox from there, or create a shortcut/launcher. If you want to preserve your current Firefox profile settings, copy the folder /home/username/.mozilla/firefox/your-profile.default somewhere else, so you can replace the new profile folder with it. To do this, you'll also have to modify the profiles.ini file, because FF 13 will create a new profile when you run it for the first time. Since you want to use your old profile, you'll open profiles.ini and just modify the Path= line by entering the name of your old profile instead of the new one.
LivingColour

Post by LivingColour »

eanfrid wrote:Maybe something went wrong in your Firefox profile. Run "firefox -P" to open the profile manager and create a new profile for testing purpose. If you don't meet these issues with a fresh new profile, then your current profile probably got wrecked. Firefox bugs are not Linux bugs.
This might work if you didn't get sent here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/ where there is no Google to add at this time. This new version of Firefox is trash. Seems to be causing lots of problems.
Iurydice

Post by Iurydice »

LivingColour wrote:This might work if you didn't get sent here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/ where there is no Google to add at this time. This new version of Firefox is trash. Seems to be causing lots of problems.
Actually, there is Google to add. A whole lot of Google engines, starting on this page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... me&page=44

Still, I don't know why you insist on adding the Google search engine using that method and refusing to try out the one I suggested, via the engines list. I mean, you could at least try. New Firefox isn't causing any problems for me, but if it's really so bad for you, why not file a bug report?
LivingColour

Post by LivingColour »

Iurydice wrote:
LivingColour wrote:This might work if you didn't get sent here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search-tools/ where there is no Google to add at this time. This new version of Firefox is trash. Seems to be causing lots of problems.
Actually, there is Google to add. A whole lot of Google engines, starting on this page: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... me&page=44

Still, I don't know why you insist on adding the Google search engine using that method and refusing to try out the one I suggested, via the engines list. I mean, you could at least try. New Firefox isn't causing any problems for me, but if it's really so bad for you, why not file a bug report?
Because that's the way it's always worked in Firefox until now? Because it was easy to get the official Google search box? But most important.... It worked until now. Why did it all the sudden stop working? And why can't I get the official Google search box back in a straight forward manner? I don't know why I can't just click the "get more search engines" link, and be shown a list of official search boxes from search providers, and not something thrown together by a third party. This isn't hard, and I don't know if it is because the version of Firefox that comes with Mint is altered by them and they don't want to make it easy because Google doesn't give them money? Or if this latest version of Firefox just really messed this up? It's nothing personal against you. Thank you for your suggestions. But you must agree that this is a pretty ridiculous issue that has no business occurring either within Firefox, or Mint itself?
Iurydice

Post by Iurydice »

LivingColour wrote: Because that's the way it's always worked in Firefox until now? Because it was easy to get the official Google search box? But most important.... It worked until now. Why did it all the sudden stop working? And why can't I get the official Google search box back in a straight forward manner? I don't know why I can't just click the "get more search engines" link, and be shown a list of official search boxes from search providers, and not something thrown together by a third party. This isn't hard, and I don't know if it is because the version of Firefox that comes with Mint is altered by them and they don't want to make it easy because Google doesn't give them money? Or if this latest version of Firefox just really messed this up? It's nothing personal against you. Thank you for your suggestions. But you must agree that this is a pretty ridiculous issue that has no business occurring either within Firefox, or Mint itself?
Of course it's ridiculous, that's how all bugs/glitches are :D And don't worry, I never took any offense, I'm just sorry I wasn't able to help, though I'm pretty sure it should work if you add it from the mozdev list. The reason why you can't do it easily and straightforwardly like you could before is because apparently there is a bug. It happens. It can happen to any piece of software, anywhere, regardless of who pays for what. That's why it's a good and useful practice to report bugs - the sooner they're discovered and reported, the faster they'll get resolved. Using free/open source software is a strangelove situation - you just have to learn to stop worrying and love the bugs :D (OK, maybe not "love" them, but accept them and live with them until they're fixed.)

If you think the problem is in the latest version of Firefox, you can try downgrading. On the other hand, if you think the problem is in the Mint version of Firefox, you can always download it directly from Mozilla. There are many different ways to resolve or at least go around this problem, you just have to choose :D

Of course, you can always quit and use some other browser, but who wants to be a quitter? :D

And just another thing: mozdev.org is not exactly a third party (if that's what you meant). It's a software development community affiliated with Mozilla, and mycroft is their project for search engines (that's the list I linked in my previous posts). So it's perfectly okay and safe to use their search engines; after all, many Firefox addons are hosted there too, you might be using some without even knowing/suspecting they might be from "a third party". :wink:
bobaye

Post by bobaye »

I had the same issue with spellcheck, autospell, or whatever we're calling it this week. :shock:
I noticed that on my system it seemed to be that I had no spell check anywhere, so...
I looked through system settings after reading and re-reading this post and google-ing many more to find a solution...And, well, it's in system settings.
I found Preferences > Language support on the start menu (not in firefox, but in the lower left as-in-on-the-task-bar start menu) and opened it.
It ran an auto check on start-up and told me not all packages had been installed, and asked if I would like to complete the installation.
Um, yeah.
Provided root P/W when prompted by the app and it completed the language pack installs.
I've checked on a couple forums and here also - anything misspelled now gets a red underline and right click provides spelling options.
In Slackware I think the package is called aspell, I did a <sudo wget -i aspell> from the command prompt just to check and it verified that my system was up to date, so apparently aspell is a Linux common package.
I realize this is a few months after the O/P brought it up, but maybe this will save someone else the frustration.
Other things to check are dictionary from the office menu tab, and for anything else if you don't see what your looking for right off you can always use the search box at the bottom of the menu > applications screen.
Hope that helps.
(I might have found this sooner but I was too busy with grub2 configuration and learning patience).
klick

Post by klick »

esteban1uy wrote:
LivingColour wrote:Why would I want to install a third party add-on to fix something that shouldn't need fixing?
If you don't want to use an add-on, then read this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/989978

Which language is selected in your Firefox when you right-click on some text input box?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but spell check didn't work for me until I did the check you recommended (bolded above). I had to add a dictionary for spell check to work. Seems like this would come in FF as standard.

Anyway, it works now and I'm ever so happy. :D
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Thanks for bring this up. I had meant to get this working but forgot. I hate it when I mispell sumpin on the forum. Un fortunatelly I have to keep reactivating it.

Pat
tanker001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tanker001 »

I wanted to add to this thread because I ran into the same problem when copying my profile over from windows to Linux. For some reason I had to not only click the check spelling so that the green check mark was on (using Noia Fox theme) but I had to go into languages and select the language. I only have one language so once it is selected it can't be unselected.

See attached screen shot. Notice the "English (United States)" is not selected. Once this is selected the spell checker works again. In the case of my browser using Noia Fox theme it puts a blue dot next to it.
Screenshot.png
Stan

Return to “Software & Applications”