Brasero hasn't worked, for years

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Brasero hasn't worked, for years

Post by iironjade »

I've never had problems with xfburn but K3b is a massive PITA.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
nomko

Post by nomko »

iironjade wrote:I've never had problems with xfburn but K3b is a massive PITA.
Xfburn is a good replacement for Brasero. It's also lightweight and does the job as it should be. I use Xfburn now and then and not having any problem with it.

K3B is a KDE application basically meant for the KDE desktop although it can be installed under Gnome-based desktop environments. K3B can somehow be compared with the Windows burning application Nero if it comes to functionality. While Nero has a lot of functional options, K3B is a good match for Nero on the Linux desktop with similar options. But yes, compared to Brasero and Xfburn, K3B is a log-looking application!
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

It's not the look of K3B which bothers me, it's that I can never get it to work.
Nero on Windows is excellent although the old version I have is a bit fussy at times: it doesn't like .mkvs and won't do subtitles whereas DeVeDe will (and free of charge). Sometimes DeVeDe's subs will even be in sync with what's on the screen.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Things haven't changed much since I last had to deal with Brasero wasting discs:

Code: Select all

BraseroReadom called brasero_job_get_output_type
BraseroReadom stderr: addr:   272144
BraseroReadom called brasero_job_get_output_type
BraseroReadom stderr: Time total: 62.175sec
BraseroReadom stderr: Read 544288.00 kB at 8754.1 kB/sec.
BraseroReadom stderr: HUP
BraseroReadom process finished with status 0
BraseroReadom Finished track successfully
BraseroReadom called brasero_job_get_done_tracks
BraseroReadom called brasero_job_get_fd_out
BraseroReadom disconnecting BraseroReadom from BraseroChecksumImage
BraseroReadom deactivating
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_get_current_track
BraseroChecksumImage Setting new checksum (type = 2) f9d95954980b85ecab4276221a3df333 (99a7d259023f3e123cfd350c6c511ba5 before)
BraseroChecksumImage called brasero_job_error
BraseroChecksumImage finished with an error
BraseroChecksumImage asked to stop because of an error
	error		= 27
	message	= "Some files may be corrupted on the disc"
BraseroChecksumImage stopping
BraseroChecksumImage closing connection for BraseroChecksumImage
Session error : Some files may be corrupted on the disc (brasero_burn_record brasero-burn.c:2856)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

As others have already suggested: forget bloody Brasero and use Xfburn instead. Won't let you down, just works. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Another tip: Replace cdrkit (that is the backend of the burner applications) with cdrtools.
For this the PPA ppa:brandonsnider/cdrtools is needed. By installing the packages cdrecord, mkisofs and cdda2wav the packages wodim, genisoimage and icedax (belonging to cdrkit) get removed.
Reason: cdrkit is a fork of cdrtools, made out of licensing discussions. The problem is, that cdrkit has got no further development with the consequence of compatibility issues with newer hardware and media.
This might not work with Brasero, but well with k3b. (Not tested with xfburn, but its should work there also.)
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Cosmo. wrote:Another tip: Replace cdrkit (that is the backend of the burner applications) with cdrtools.
This might not work with Brasero
If this doesn't resolve Brasero's problems, then why bother? If you had proved that it actually did something good, then you would be onto something. :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I turn off 2 plug ins and Brasero has always worked fine.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

when burning an ISO file, tend to use K3b as it has an inbuilt MD5 checker,
- otherwise it's generally is Brasero that is the burner, & mainly for audio files to disk.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

exploder wrote:I turn off 2 plug ins and Brasero has always worked fine.
????
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

@ddalley: tried Xfburn yet, as I advised earlier? Finest non-KDE burning application there is. Reliable, stable, simple. Brasero on the other hand.... not so much.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

So the old (literally) Brasero-bashing thread has been resurrected.

Has it occurred to anyone that the fault, if any, may be in the equipment that is being used? Or is it a user fault? I do have some issues with the options presented - to me they are unclear yet my wife does not have that issue. For her too Brasero works well.

I have used Brasero for many years and have only had one failure that was entirely due to me selecting the wrong option. Often I have read of users being advised to use a slow burn speed. Brasero adjusts the burn speed automatically - usually around 8 (whatevers) but often around 12 or 13.

If Brasero was not up to the task it would not be included in Linux Mint nor any of the other many distros.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I disable "File Checksum" and "Image Checksum" in Brasero then it works just as quick and reliable as Xfburn. When they are enabled it takes forever to burn an iso. I also use the lowest possible speed to burn anything. I burn a lot of iso's and make a lot of music CD's and never have made a coaster.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

Pjotr wrote:@ddalley: tried Xfburn yet, as I advised earlier? Finest non-KDE burning application there is. Reliable, stable, simple. Brasero on the other hand.... not so much.
Of course. I have used Xfburn and K3B as alternatives for years. However, I also try to give Brasero its due every year or so. I just happened to find it in a recent LM release and gave it another chance.
kyphi wrote:Has it occurred to anyone that the fault, if any, may be in the equipment that is being used? Or is it a user fault?
If Brasero was not up to the task it would not be included in Linux Mint nor any of the other many distros.
In my Ubuntu years, I had no issues with Brasero. I liked the program, too, but if all it does for me and a lot of others now is make coasters, then somebody needs to rethink things. I had no choice but to use other software. It is up to others to make it work as well and reliably for everyone as the other Linux programs can. If the Brasero devs want my hardware specs, or whatever, they are free to contact me.
exploder wrote:I disable "File Checksum" and "Image Checksum" in Brasero then it works just as quick and reliable as Xfburn. When they are enabled it takes forever to burn an iso. I also use the lowest possible speed to burn anything. I burn a lot of iso's and make a lot of music CD's and never have made a coaster.
Disabling checksums functions may bypass the issue, but I have to presume that those functions are there for a reason. I always select the software's slowest writing speed available to the drive.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

Interesting reading in this post thread. So, here is my opinion: I have been using the excellent, easy to use, DVD burning program "K3b" for years on all kinds of CD's and DVD's and have never had a problem using any speed, except a rare bad disk media. I have read numerous very good reviews for "xfburn" as well.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”