Mintbackup won't start

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Mintbackup won't start

Postby mark1mint on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:24 pm

Hi,I've just installed mintbackup in Ubuntu 12.04 by adding the Maya main repository and importing the linuxmint keyring:it has been installed and I can see the icon in the menu,but that's it:I can't launch it,clicking on the icon does nothing,trying to launch it using sudo returns this error
Code: Select all
sh: 1: sh:: not found
any ideas on what is going on? Maybe it does conflict with the default Ubuntu backup tool?
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 4:36 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Mintbackup won't start

Postby ibm450 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:22 am

same issue here also, are there extra packages we need to install?
Image
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
Image
User avatar
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Kwinana, Western Australia

Re: Mintbackup won't start

Postby nextdistroplease on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Follow these instructions:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/250

Uninstall mintbackup

sudo apt-get install deja-dup/unstable

You can disable the deja-dup daemon from start up services

Enjoy perpetually
User avatar
nextdistroplease
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA

Re: Mintbackup won't start

Postby guimaster on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 am

nextdistroplease wrote:Follow these instructions:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/250

Uninstall mintbackup

sudo apt-get install deja-dup/unstable

You can disable the deja-dup daemon from start up services

Enjoy perpetually


The article at the link above has been removed, so here is what I did in order to get Mint Backup working on Kubuntu 12.04:

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-core

Now Mint Backup is working for me. Yay!

I can't quite figure out why mint-meta-core installed hddtemp though. Seems unnecessary...
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Mintbackup won't start

Postby JimmyEggs on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:58 pm

Looks like nextdistroplease was linking to an article on installing unstable debian packages. I checked the internet wayback machine for that page (thank you archive.org). Nexdistroplease's point seems to be that mintbackup is inferior to deja-dup and should be uninstalled in favor of the newest (unstable) deja-dup. He/She probably has a good point there. This unfortunately doesn't address the original problem of mintbackup failing to start on Ubuntu, as described by mark1mint, ibm450, and guimaster.

I have the same issue, guimaster, but I don't exactly follow your solution.

guimaster wrote:
The article at the link above has been removed, so here is what I did in order to get Mint Backup working on Kubuntu 12.04:

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-core

Now Mint Backup is working for me. Yay!

I can't quite figure out why mint-meta-core installed hddtemp though. Seems unnecessary...


I looked around for how to get the mint-meta-core installed and the results warned against crossing Mint and Ubuntu repos. I wonder if there's another solution... Untar my huge (600+GB) archive created by mintbackup manually?

I feel stupid for assuming mintbackup would be easy to get going. :oops: Any suggestions?

EDIT: I manually extracted the tarball created by mintbackup successfully. No issues whatsoever. I used pv to view the progress:
Code: Select all
pv 2013-03-07-0910-backup.tar | tar xf - -C /home/jim/mint-restore/
 574GB 1:41:08 [96.9MB/s] [=================================================>] 100%
JimmyEggs
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:56 pm

Re: Mintbackup won't start

Postby guimaster on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 am

JimmyEggs wrote:Looks like nextdistroplease was linking to an article on installing unstable debian packages. I checked the internet wayback machine for that page (thank you archive.org). Nexdistroplease's point seems to be that mintbackup is inferior to deja-dup and should be uninstalled in favor of the newest (unstable) deja-dup. He/She probably has a good point there. This unfortunately doesn't address the original problem of mintbackup failing to start on Ubuntu, as described by mark1mint, ibm450, and guimaster.

I have the same issue, guimaster, but I don't exactly follow your solution.

guimaster wrote:
The article at the link above has been removed, so here is what I did in order to get Mint Backup working on Kubuntu 12.04:

sudo apt-get install mint-meta-core

Now Mint Backup is working for me. Yay!

I can't quite figure out why mint-meta-core installed hddtemp though. Seems unnecessary...


I looked around for how to get the mint-meta-core installed and the results warned against crossing Mint and Ubuntu repos. I wonder if there's another solution... Untar my huge (600+GB) archive created by mintbackup manually?

I feel stupid for assuming mintbackup would be easy to get going. :oops: Any suggestions?

EDIT: I manually extracted the tarball created by mintbackup successfully. No issues whatsoever. I used pv to view the progress:
Code: Select all
pv 2013-03-07-0910-backup.tar | tar xf - -C /home/jim/mint-restore/
 574GB 1:41:08 [96.9MB/s] [=================================================>] 100%


After installing Mint Backup I realized pretty quickly that it's not a very good program. It may have been in the past, but not now. I have since installed "Back In Time" which is reviewed very highly and has both a Gnome and KDE GUIs.

I just added the repos for MintBackup to Kubuntu, and then installed : mint-meta-core

(Add the following to /etc/apt/sources.list)
# deb http://packages.linuxmint.com maya main upstream import
# deb-src http://packages.linuxmint.com maya main upstream import

But doing so gave me some problems which you can read about here: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread ... -With-Muon
guimaster
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:16 am


Return to Software & Applications

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests